Hard Disk Letters

Soldato
How can i ensure my Hard Disk is C: when i install windows and my CD Drive is D:

For some reason they have installed as H: and G: respectively. I know i cant change my Windows install drive now but if i do another install how can i ensure my drive letters are how i want them to be?

Soldato
you can re-letter HDD and optical drives after windows has been installed.

Control Panel > Administrative tools > computer management.

Storage > Disk management.

Right click on the drive to change > "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

You might have to do some juggling if the letter you want is already taken. (eg. change C: to X:, then D: to C:, then X: to D:)

Associate
orderoftheflame said:
you can re-letter HDD and optical drives after windows has been installed.

Control Panel > Administrative tools > computer management.

Storage > Disk management.

Right click on the drive to change > "Change Drive Letter and Paths"

You might have to do some juggling if the letter you want is already taken. (eg. change C: to X:, then D: to C:, then X: to D:)

This won't work for your primary boot drive, it will tell you can't change the system drive letter. Also be warned if you have shortcuts or programs on those drive you might find they stop working. Data should be ok though.

Associate
The first drive to be partitioned will be assigned C:, the second D: etc. You can change optical drive letters by the method mentioned above.

If for instance you have two drives and on these drives are:

Disk 1:
Nothing

Disk2:
C: D:

And you partition soemthing onto Disk 1 then its going to take up E as the first letter available. You have to unplug disk 2 while you do the partitioning.

Soldato
I've had instances (Perhaps 1 in 20 installs) where windows has gone crazy and decided to use drive F: for a fresh install on a brand new disk. However, in every case where that's happend, wiping the drive, and starting over has always worked.

Associate
I have 3 hard drives, 2 300gb drives and 1 120gb drive with 2 partitions on. I use 1 10gb partition on the 120gb drive to install windows and to get that as letter c i have to disable sata ports 3&4 in bios to remove 1 300gb drive. The other which works for me is to install windows as a new installation starting in your old windows and on one of the early setup flash ups theres a tab for advanced options and you can tick a box in there to assgin you own drive letter later in the installation

Back
Top Bottom