Audio Problems with NF7-S

Associate
Hi all,

I was wondering if you guys could help me!

Two days ago I noticed that only one of my speakers are working. If I pull the audio jack out slightly though I get sound from both but it's only mono sound (I checked the speaker left and right balance).

I have also tried the headphone front port and its the same (jack all the way in and only left speaker plays, pull out a little and both but not stereo).

Would this indicate an onboard chip problem or a driver problem? I don't remember having problems a few months ago.

PS I did rebuild my pc a few months ago but use the same drivers etc....

Any help appreciated!

---------------------------------------------------------------

AMD 3200XP Barton 400FSB
ABIT NF7-S v2.0 (BIOS 27)
MAXTOR Diamondmax 9 80GB
Seagate SCSI 36GB
Samsung Spinpoint 250GB
Crucial RAM 512x2 PC3200 400Mhz Running Dual DDR Mode
RADEON 9600 Saphire Pro 128mb
PIONEER 109 Dual Layer
Running Windows XP PRO SP2
17" DIGIMATE LCD Monitor

Associate
I'm confused by your dilemma. Mono sound that comes out of both speakers? What exactly do you mean?

Regardless, if the problem occurs using both the line out and the headphone out then that would suggest a problem with the device, be it a driver or hardware problem.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply!

When I mean mono sound, its sound coming from both speakers but when I set the balance to the left both speakers still produce music, and when I set the balance to the right no sounds comes from either speaker.

Associate
Plug the speakers on another source (e.g. CD player or anything) just to make sure that it is not the speaker cable/jack that's damaged.

Associate
OP
Hi,

I have brought my Sennheiser headphones into work today and they play perfectly. The jack is all the way in, the balance works fine and they sound sweet! :D

I'm yet to try my altec's on another pc but the Senn's in work prove they work.

Thanks for your help so far guys! Anymore suggestions?

Associate
OP
Hi guys!

Last night I removed the nforce 2 5.10 drivers and tried the 2 older ones 4.27 and something else. This didn't resolve the problem!

Anyone know if my audio chip is damaged? Will I need to replace my motherboard or just buy a soundcard?

Any help appreciated!

Paul

Soldato
did you put your headphones into the same input as the speakers. If you did and they worked then your mobo is fine and its a speaker issue. At a guess the connection on the speaker jack is buggered. if this is the case then its a simple fix. Just cut off the jack, but a new one from an electronics shop and solder it on.

But dont panic, either way your mobo is fine, even if the sound chip was borked you could just disable it in the bios and fit a sound card. but i dont think thats the case

Just out of interest what speakers are you using, do they support a digital connection ( optical ) if so use it. the soundstorm has very good sound when using this connection

Associate
OP
Hi Kidloco,

Thanks for the reply.

I have tried my sennheisers in the front port and the speaker port at the back and only sound from the left when inserted fully.

My desktop speakers are Altec Lansing AV500's.

I'm thinking of buying a cheap soundcard and trying that.

Paul

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply James Miller!

I tried moving the speaker connector around a little to see if the other speaker kicked in and nothing.

Funny thing is the speakers I have the main speaker with the power switch, volume control and supply off this to the second front speaker is the one that doesn't work! The front speaker off this one works fine! :mad:

Tonight I might do a fresh rebuild on a spare harddrive i have and remove everything from the board to clean it and see how that goes!

Soldato
it's definately not software mate. your front port works off the same audio feed as the rear port, so if the port is working it has to be the speakers. if the speakers are working it must be the port. i really can't see it beiong anything else:(

have you tried plugging the speakers in to the front port?

Associate
OP
Just tried the speakers in the front port - the same! Starting to go mad now because I'm thinking my board is bust :mad:

I installed vista beta 2 last night thinking a fresh install with good drivers etc... made no difference.

Next week I will buy a sound card and try that. I may also contact Abit to see if I can RMA and pay because the board is only 15 months old!

Thanks guys for your help but I think I got tha answer I was dreading!!! :p

Paul

Back
Top Bottom