• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Worth getting a x2 3800 ?

Associate
Current setup is in sig, waiting like many others for the price drops and then plan on getting a x2 3800. I mainly use machine for gaming and the occasional video encode.

Now taking into account the x2 chips produce more heat due to there being 2 cores, and that this could be a restricting factor when overclocking compared to my current overclock, would I see a performance drop say for example if I only got the x2 3800 to 2.6ghz ? in games.

Wanna go dual core but also want to hit 3ghz :p was thinking of the A64 4000+, but not really worth spending £100 odd for an extra 200mhz.

So in a dilema at moment of what to do, conroe is outta the question before any one suggests that as only got this DFI mb about 2 months ago when my asrock dual went **** up :p plus always upgrade and tell myself not to upgrade for another year and get some value out of what I buy. Got the opty/asrock mb/ram 6 months ago..... can`t win in this overclocking game :(

Associate
I really don't see a problem with the system you have the moment and upgrading to a x2 3800+ wouldn't really be an improvement gaming wise. I plan to get a dual-core but for me its more of a bonus than a necessity since I don't really do any intensive multitasking. I only have a barebone PC at the moment so my situation is different to yours.

That said, if the x2 3800+ come down to £100 and you sell off your opteron (going for about £70-£95 on ebay at the moment) then its a relatively cheap 'upgrade' and dual-core will be beneficial in the long run. A graphic card might be a better investment for the moment if you are having trouble playing any games.

Back
Top Bottom