Finding an IT job is harder than you think!

Underboss
Ive been looking for about a week, i am after a job than involves building PCs

I have applied for a few jobs which haven't got me anywhere :(

I am finding it difficult to find such jobs, maybe I am looking too hard?

Even if I find a job that does training or work experience.

I can't afford to go for MCSA/MCSE

any help much appriciated

i've tried places like

jobcentre
CVScreen
reed

any input will be greatly appriciated

Soldato
depends on your experience. are you classifying yourself as a systems engineer?

jobs adertised on sites like gojobsite require professionals with proper skills to prove theyre worth hiring. companies dont take risks on those who arent qualified.

try local pc shops theyre more into building individual PCs. larger companies will need someone who can do more than just put some PC hardware together to build a PC (You'll find practically everyone in the software/hardware industry regardless of their job can do this).

Associate
Try smaller shops too, just hand in CVs.

My mate got headhunted for a new computer shop and computer repairs while he was working in *another small electronics store*. He's only worked there about 6 weeks and he's been made store manager :\ He's only 19.

Lucky git. Smaller shops probably have a lot more responsibility and are probably more fun. Try your local computer shops to see if they're looking for anyone.

Underboss
OP
Phantom said:
depends on your experience. are you classifying yourself as a systems engineer?

jobs adertised on sites like gojobsite require professionals with proper skills to prove theyre worth hiring. companies dont take risks on those who arent qualified.

try local pc shops theyre more into building individual PCs. larger companies will need someone who can do more than just put some PC hardware together to build a PC (You'll find practically everyone in the software/hardware industry regardless of their job can do this).

Thanks phantom, thats a good post, something to think about :)

Associate
ShiWarrior said:
Ive been looking for about a week...maybe I am looking too hard?...

I would say that 99% of people looking for a job, unless it's working at Tesco, usally look for a little longer. Some companys may have not even had time to reply yet. I would recommend to keep looking, filling application forms and if in a months time you still have no luck then goto a job agency.

Unless you have experiance, more than just "i've made a few computers for friends" then a lot of places will throw your application away, leaving you with only a few who want people without experiance.

Edit: As for the title "Finding an IT job is harder than you think!" I'm going to have to say you were not realistic at finding a job, any can be hard to find unless your CV is right.

Last edited:
Soldato
ShiWarrior said:

Its all about location. I'm in edinburgh and there is a limited number of jobs here compared to say London, I dont expect to find work for maybe a month or two. In London I'd probably expect something in less than a month. Its only been a couple weeks, dont be discouraged.

Soldato
Its not! i came straight out of uni with a HND in PC Systems, Networks and software development.

I applied for about 10 different jobs, got a job with a respectable company as an I.T Support Analyst, it was my first interview aswel!

You wont find many jobs available for just "Building PC's" they will want more than that from you, specially the larger companies, as said, try local pc shops, but then these are hardly going to offer you decent pay unless you are looking for £5-7 an hour jobby's.

Last edited:

Mat

Mat

Soldato
Chris1712 said:
I Would be that 1% then.

No, no, youre just a myth, you dont actually exist. Sorry to bring that to your attention. You may now vanish from space and time. :p ;)

Soldato
Mat said:
No, no, youre just a myth, you dont actually exist. Sorry to bring that to your attention. You may now vanish from space and time. :p ;)

:eek: , i suppose i'd best stop going there three times a week in a funky purple shirt then!

But yeah i agree, 85% of the people i work with have no clue whats going on, I'm just there part time between college. I absolutely pwn customers down there though, people who think they know what they're on about and come to talk to us. Yes some people come in to just blab. Actual quote...

Idiot Customer said:
"I'm thinking of going with 4x256 sticks of PC2700 with my new pentium D, thats a Hyper System right there, with quad channeling because I'll have 4 sticks."

What? just get out.

Soldato
Cookie-Monster said:
if you havent found a job after 3 or 4 months then you may be able to say its hard to find a job in IT after a week its ridiculous

Thats what i was gonna say. Well first i was gonna say "I knew it was hard finding a job in IT because of the gazillion threads about it" then when the OP said he'd be looking for about a week, i laughed. :(

Stick at it, you'll find something. I'm currently struggling to find a temp job doing "anything" (my words to about 3 agencies) :(

Back
Top Bottom