Did I do the 7V fanmod right?

Soldato
Hi, I just did the 7V fan mod on some silenx fans (I know quiet as they are I could still hear them).

i did it using this guide

http://www.cpemma.co.uk/graphics/7v.gif

The fans both had these 4 pin connectors and I did it to bother.

But I clipped them both together and one end into the PSU - does that mean the first one connected to the PSU is running at 7V and the one after that running lower?

Soldato
OP
Cool, completly unaudible now, but pushes hardly any air lol, but didnt seem to effect temps much, will be installing more fans anyways.

Soldato
Vegeta said:
No I mean is there anyway to just mod the end that goes into say your motherboard.

Yes, plug the end into a fan controller :p

You need to use a molex as it is the only connection (afaik) that has the -5 and 12 voltages.

Soldato
samcat said:
Resistor soldered inline...

You can also buy speed reducer cables for 3 pin fans... They have a resistor inline.

Cheers,
Sam C

Exactly, Zalman ship their fans with these reistor adapters, but they dont work that well, only about 10v ish.

Soldato
Yewen said:
Exactly, Zalman ship their fans with these reistor adapters, but they dont work that well, only about 10v ish.

My resistors drop down to about 6.5v... But I experimented with a variable resistor first until I found a noise/airflow level I was happy with... Measured the resistance at that setting and bought some resistors that were similar.

Cheers,
Sam C

Back
Top Bottom