Ultima System Case Choice

Associate
Hi im planning on purchasing one of OcUKs ultima systems soonish and I was wondering which of the 4 case options is superior? Ive looked at various info on them but opinions seem pretty mixed.

cheers.

Associate
They might bring out new ultima systems when conroes hit with conroes in them, it might be an idea to wait and see if they do. Out of the cases you can select, i'd choose the eclipse, aparently its got really good cooling as air and cases go.

Im just a newb though so wait for a second opinion :)

Soldato
I would go for the TJ03 personally as its a stunning case. OcUK would make sure the cooling was all ok on a pre-built system anyway. :)

Failing that I would go with the Eclipse, but you get more for your money with the Silverstone TJ03.

Don
Yewen said:
I would go for the TJ03 personally as its a stunning case. OcUK would make sure the cooling was all ok on a pre-built system anyway. :)

Failing that I would go with the Eclipse, but you get more for your money with the Silverstone TJ03.
I agree :)

Stelly

Soldato
:confused: Huh?

Consistently there are 3 recommended cases on these forums;

Lian-Li PC-7+
Akasa Eclipse
Lian-Li V1000+

I looked back over the last 6 months and no-one ever was recommended a TJ-03. And lets be honest, we're never afraid to recommend a case just because it's expensive, so how come TJ-03 is suddenly top of the pops? It may be well made, but it's got 80mm fans in the back for goodness sake!

I can understand not wanting to recommend the Stacker 830 as it's made of paper and string and the Antec P180 doesn't float my boat personally but the TJ-03 is not a better case than an Akasa Eclipse. It's twice the price, certainly, but it's a poorer case.

If OcUK are doing a £190 case as a direct substitute for £90-£150 cases they must want rid of them pretty badly I reckon. They almost certainly have dying stock to shift.

Yewen said:
but you get more for your money with the Silverstone TJ03

I do not understand this recommendation at all.

Personally I would stick with my personal choice - Akasa Aclipse 62 and ask them to substitute the fan panel for the window, but maybe I should by a TJ-03 instead?

Soldato
Well, its more for your money, a more expensive case on the system.

If your buying a pre-built system the odds are you are not wanting to overclock, so the cooling is fine on it.

OcUK would not sell a hot unstable system really. It makes sense if you look at it from a consumer point of view in this instance, as a overclocking rig most certainly not.

Permabanned
Its pretty easy to get any system cool with the right fans. A coolermaster wavemaster with 4x80mm delta,sunon or ys-tech fans on full alert will be loud, but will give adequete cooling.

A akasa will keep a system cool but with less noise, I think thats the main factor.

I would personally go for the Lian Li S80, ask them to change it to that case, the design is very complicated but the looks are to die for and if you remove some of the fans its a very silent case.

Soldato
I would have trouble recommending anyone to buy the S80.

For the same money for most people the v1000+ is a better all round case.

The S80 does nothing bar build quality exceptionally, the Eclipse out cools it, v1000+ looks nicer, any case can be as quiet at it, especially if you spend the difference on Silenmaxx enclosures etc.

Very hard to recommend one, brilliant case and I love mine, but would not say it is a case suited to everyone.

I will explain in my review coming next week. :)

Permabanned
Yewen said:
I would have trouble recommending anyone to buy the S80.

For the same money for most people the v1000+ is a better all round case.

The S80 does nothing bar build quality exceptionally, the Eclipse out cools it, v1000+ looks nicer, any case can be as quiet at it, especially if you spend the difference on Silenmaxx enclosures etc.

Very hard to recommend one, brilliant case and I love mine, but would not say it is a case suited to everyone.

I will explain in my review coming next week. :)

Really? I personally dont like the V1000+ cooling techniques. The S80 cooling looks a bit complicated but I would swap the back 120mm as a exhaust and then it would make more sense (lol).

The panels and the cooling style was copied (or "inspired") from the Soldam Windy cases from Japan. The panels to block off the system, then the vents at the back which vent the air to the intakes at the front.

The sheer amount of aluminium panels paired with some Yate-Loons 5V'ed makes a damn silent case in my opinion.

But, thats just my opinion!

Soldato
In practise its no quieter than my v1000+ was, and only a deg or two cooler.

Not really worth the extra money to get the S80 over the v1000+ / v1100+ although the S80 is amazing if your willing to spend the money.

Soldato
nbkpsycho said:
TJ03 ?? What is wrong with you people :eek:

Dam thats ugly :p

This is why the TJ03 looks nice, it is based on and designed by the same person as the Coolermaster ATCs 110-SX1.

img3370large0gx.jpg

Associate
OP
yikes a lot of replies now :o so er I guess *if* OcUK are willing to let me choose a none listed case which from what I hear they wont, I should go for the S80 if not the TJ07. :D

Back
Top Bottom