BMW M3 Question

Associate
Hi there,

I am looking at purchasing an M3 Coupe as I have a lovely bonus coming in at the end of july.

Just wondering how often they need servicing and costs... and what needs to be changed etc at certain mileage.

Hope someone can help me, Also any websites would be appreciated

Townlea

Soldato
merlin said:
SMG - is that the flappy paddle shift?

Does that mean there's no gearstick?

SMG is paddle shift, but I'm not sure if it replaces the gearstick or just compliments it.

I think Rotty has SMG, but Steve has the manual in his 330 ;), so they'd be able to answer that one first hand.

Associate
OP
Kingy said:
SMG is paddle shift, but I'm not sure if it replaces the gearstick or just compliments it.

I think Rotty has SMG, but Steve has the manual in his 330 ;), so they'd be able to answer that one first hand.

They'll also be able to explain servicing costs :)

*awaits rotty*

Soldato
Get one with a BMW warranty. This lasts 3 years, you can then continue the warranty for a princely sum of around £1200 per year, BMW recently changed the terms and upset a lot of people to set a £250 excess on any warranty claims. Still well worth having though in my book.

The other significant costs will be fuel (I get around 23pmg on Optimax) and tyres, expect to pay at least £800 for a set.

More things to consider:

Phoenix Yellow and Laguna Secca Blue will be cheaper to purchase as the colours are a bit love or hate and most people hate them.

SMG or manual - SMG box is great, you hear hardly any complaints from drivers, personally I choose a manual. I'd test drive both and see which you prefer.

Make sure you get 19 inch wheels - but watch out for curbed alloys as they are very hard to refurbish.

Sat Nav/DVD is a desirable option and will help resale value, I think I'm right in saying that 2004 cars onwards were upgraded to a digital TV reciever rather than analogue.

Check the service book, and make sure its had all the services done on schedule otherwise you'll have problems with the warranty.

If its an early car make sure that the engine recall work has been done.

If any of the engine warning lights on the dash stay on when the engines started walk away.

This site is down today but usually full of very well informed people:

http://www.bm3w.co.uk

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Some useful info there garret!

Well I'm looking to buy new because of the bonus.

Fuel isn't a problem as i get 28mpg on the motorways and 15-16 around town. (ST220)

BMW Warranty I will defo get anyway :)

Note taken on the alloys..

Just servicing I need to know about really..

Basically how much and how often :)

Associate
dont do that! unless you looking for second hand of course! if you want brandnew i would seriously recomend waiting for the E90 , i have a deposit on one which i will be collecting early 2008 , its a long wait but it will be worth it! approx 450bhp and a nice chunky V8 :cool:

If you still want the E46 try and get one with SMGII and look out on the bottom of the exhaust pipes as i've seen a few that rust.

Fuel economy isnt that great around 24mpg , but you dont buy an M3 for the fuel economy ;)

serviceing can be very costly , its usually every year or 12,000 miles which evers first , when i had my 325 it was £250 per service , my 330i was £280 so i would imagine the M3 would be around £300-£320

*s

Soldato
6thElement said:
merlin in Integra car change shocka :eek:

Mine isn't for sale, but a guy offered to buy it at Tesco's the other night - for the third time. First and second times I laughed it off but he appears to be deadly serious.

Anyway, I dont think I can sell it, I have had a nose around at M3's on PH, but bottom line is I just dont think I can part with it.

Soldato
Townlea said:
Some useful info there garret!

Fuel isn't a problem as i get 28mpg on the motorways and 15-16 around town. (ST220)

BMW Warranty I will defo get anyway :)

Note taken on the alloys..

Just servicing I need to know about really..

Basically how much and how often :)

You have enough money to buy a new M3 yet you are worrying about servicing frequency and cost. ROFL

Soldato
Townlea said:

Don't forget there's a new base model out soon, which may affect residuals when the E92 M3 launches.

The M3 CS is also worth considering if you're buying new. Add's steering rack and a couple of other bits from the CSL which are worth having from the little that I know about them. :)

Soldato
I* Running in check is 1200 miles
* First Oil service is at around 10,000 miles
* Inspection 1 is at around 20,000 miles and will cost around £600 - £700
* Inspection 2 is at 15,000 miles after inspection 1 and should cost a little less as they do less work.

Mileage intervals are variable though as the cars computer decides when it wants servicing.

Other costs should be covered by the warranty, excluding tyres etc.

Depreciation will be nasty on a new M3 as the E90 model is looming, although not likely to arrive until late 2007/early 2008. They've actually stopping building the E46 M3 now to

Associate
OP
stig said:
dont do that! unless you looking for second hand of course! if you want brandnew i would seriously recomend waiting for the E90 , i have a deposit on one which i will be collecting early 2008 , its a long wait but it will be worth it! approx 450bhp and a nice chunky V8 :cool:

If you still want the E46 try and get one with SMGII and look out on the bottom of the exhaust pipes as i've seen a few that rust.

Fuel economy isnt that great around 24mpg , but you dont buy an M3 for the fuel economy ;)

serviceing can be very costly , its usually every year or 12,000 miles which evers first , when i had my 325 it was £250 per service , my 330i was £280 so i would imagine the M3 would be around £300-£320

*s

WOW!, I havent heard anything about this E90.. V8 you say... muhahaha.. probably even higher costs to service.. YES! :D

Service prices arn't that bad then...Hmm, I think I might put a deposit down on a E90 then... of course I will have to think about it.

What is the list price?

Soldato
mrk1@1 said:
You have enough money to buy a new M3 yet you are worrying about servicing frequency and cost. ROFL

While the £40odd k is certainly a lot of money, it's not 'don't have to worry' money and researching running costs can only be a good thing, particularly as I believe an M Inspection 2 can be up to £900?

Back
Top Bottom