Just a quick question

Soldato
Alright fellas

Yesterday I went to my mates house to get him to fit my new brake discs and pads, (standard - boring I know).

When I started up the car with one side jacked up the hub was spinning round and got faster when I revved it...before you ask, yeah it was in neutral :p

My mate says it's gearbox drag? Something to do with minging gearbox oil.

The CV joints also need changing sometime in the near future...could they have something to do with the above problem? Would I need to replace the entire driveshaft is a CV joint a separate part?

Thanks for reading. :)

Associate
to do with the gearbox oil. i would suggest the following.

1. DONT REV A CAR WHILST ON AXLE STANDS.

2. if you can find a car that doesnt do as you stated I would be amazed really.

3. nothing to do with cv joints.

4. your gearbox oil is probably fine. but if there is loads and loads of spinning probably time it is changed.

although I am happy to be corrected on all the above, after all I am not a professional.

Suspended
lozza23_uk said:
to do with the gearbox oil. i would suggest the following.

1. DONT REV A CAR WHILST ON AXLE STANDS.

2. if you can find a car that doesnt do as you stated I would be amazed really.

3. nothing to do with cv joints.

4. your gearbox oil is probably fine. but if there is loads and loads of spinning probably time it is changed.

although I am happy to be corrected on all the above, after all I am not a professional.
All that sounds like common sense to me too, but I'm useless at car mechanics.

Man of Honour
Soldato
I've never heard of gearbox drag but I suppose it's possible in some way depending on the construction of the transmission. I don't see any way worn CV joints could be influencing this.

Lozza is right, though, revving it whilst on jack stands is asking for trouble. Jacks aren't usually the most stable of things and all that jiggling about from the engine's vibrations could rattle the car loose. A wheel spinning at 50 mph that suddenly hits the ground is going to cause some problems, especially if there's anybody underneath.

Does the wheel spin when the clutch is pushed in or just when the gear select is in neutral?

Back
Top Bottom