3rd or 1st person narratives

Associate
Thought I'd start a literary thread lol ^^

Having just finished reading "Dark Rain" and while not a bad book it has confirmed that I really don't like the 1st person as a narrative tool. The ocasional small chapter maybe, for dramatic effect, but definately not for a whole book.

Don't like how confined in makes the story, having to be just one character, andit doesnt make me feel more towards said character. Its the fact your stuck with just the information the character has, and given a good novelist can keep you equally in the dark from the third person I don't see the point. I like large narratives with complex plots and intertwing stories not "I went here and I did this". I like the little asides writers do, describing the story-world's history, or flights of randomness, that make a world more immersive and fuller.

I suppose the 1st person does give some pace, but I feel that only to be a minor thing compared to whats lost

any opinions

Soldato
Depends on the story. Sometimes the confined feeling of a first-person narration adds a personal touch and makes you feel closer to the reader/protagonist, whereas in other stories an omniscient third-person narrator is more effective since it allows you to view the thoughts and feelings of all characters.

I like free indirect discourse the best, as it lets you experience all character's thoughts and feelings whilst staying close to one character in particular (see 1984).

Associate
Think about how the story would have read if you knew things before the main character did, it would change how the book reads completely. Sometimes it makes for a better story depending on what is being told.

Associate
I prefer first person novels such as;

the cement garden by mcewan and catcher in the rye by j.d salinger
or even the colour purple by walker

3rd person are ok its just theres usually a 'gap' seperating you from the character which (for me) makes it harder to engage.

Back
Top Bottom