Audi or BMW?

Soldato
Cool Adverts :D BMW for me, naturally. But there is no denying how nice Audi's line up is. The only interesting car Mercedes make is the CLS.

Soldato
Beepcake said:
Isn't the sportback a fair bit more? Rember when the missus was looking it wasn't far off A4 money :o

£500 more than a normal A3 at book price and no one pays book.

I think both companies have better cars than each other but in different classes. Out of both ranges I would go with the Audi range more often. Although out of the RS4 or M5 I would have to do a lot of driving to choose(the RS4 does look slightly better though IMO).

Soldato
Dandle said:
£500 more than a normal A3 at book price and no one pays book.

I think both companies have better cars than each other but in different classes. Out of both ranges I would go with the Audi range more often. Although out of the RS4 or M5 I would have to do a lot of driving to choose(the RS4 does look slightly better though IMO).

The RS4 is the M3 'class', it's the RS6 that's the direct competitor to the M5 :)

Soldato
Forget the new M3 tbh, I'd take an RS4 over a new M5 and no I'm not joking. Who cares if the RS4 is "supposed" to compete with the M3, that doesn't mean it can't be a valid competitor for the M5.

The point I'm making is that it's not all about performance and handling, even in cars such as these. The M5 may have superior performance but that's not enough to counter the Audi's superior looks, interior and lack of infernal i-drive system.

I do know what you mean about blinkered Audi or BMW zealots though, the kind of people who will always buy a particular brand regardless of whether there's a better alternative available from a competitor. Of course when I say "better", I mean more suited to the buyer according to their particular priorities :)

Man of Honour
Beepcake said:
The RS4 is the M3 'class', it's the RS6 that's the direct competitor to the M5 :)

Although at the moment there is no RS6 and if you want to spend between over £45-50k on a 'big, fast 4 door' its RS4 or M5..

Caporegime
Vertigo1 said:
Forget the new M3 tbh, I'd take an RS4 over a new M5 and no I'm not joking. Who cares if the RS4 is "supposed" to compete with the M3, that doesn't mean it can't be a valid competitor for the M5.

You and me both, i lust after an RS4 more than i do an M3 / M5.

M3's are 10 a penny now you see them all over the place.

Soldato
FWIW I'd still have the RS4 if it was the same price as the M5 :)

To contrast though, if we were talking used at the £30k mark then there's no Audi I'd have over an E39 M5.

Associate
I'm unsure, E39 M5 or B5 S4/RS4.

Yes different class i know, but i couldn't really judge without driving/living with both.

Looks and want wise, Audi B5 S4/RS4.

I don't know , choices choices............

New cars, i'd love an E60 M5, but with a 70 litre fuel tank, i'd spend more time at the petrol station than on the road.

New RS4 is nice enough, but still unsure of it with no hairdryers :(

Last edited:
Soldato
Vertigo1 said:
FWIW I'd still have the RS4 if it was the same price as the M5 :)

To contrast though, if we were talking used at the £30k mark then there's no Audi I'd have over an E39 M5.

Ditto.

I'm hoping Audi pull something brilliant out of the hat for the RS6.. the RS4 is a little small for my tastes.

Soldato
I prefer Audi over BMW purely on a styling point and I detest BM interiors.

Beemers rule in the handling department at the moment but Audi are starting to get better with their Quattro cars so maybe soon we'll see them on the roads more.

Associate
[TW]Fox said:
Yes it will, it will be a long, long time before Audi catches up. It always is. Same story.

BMW bring out M3. Beats everything.

Towards end of M3's life, Audi bring out S or RS4. Previously equalled old M3's, now it's finally managed it.

Oh look, here comes the new M3..

I wouldn't care tbh, M3's are as common as muck. CSL is the only version I'd lust after due to small amount produced and performace. Also, the current RS4 hasnt just 'finally managed' to beat the M3, its a much better car, and so it should be, its newer than the current M3. The new M3 will be better and so it should be too. Don't forget though that the M3 is looking much uglier this time round, if the current 3-series is anything to go by.

There are some Bm's I'd rather have than Audi's, I wouldnt touch an A2 and the Z4 is probably more fun than the TT. :)

Back
Top Bottom