Is it possible to have 2 raid 0 arrays?

Associate
Hello everyone :)

I have an asus A8N-SLi Premium motherboard and I have 2 sata II hard drives running in raid 0. I have another 2 hard drives from an old computer and was wondering if I could set them up to run in raid 0 as well as the others?

Thank you :)

Associate
OP
Thank you for the really quick reply :D

Yes, I am planning on using the on-board raid controllers. How will this effect it?

Soldato
jake000 wrote:

Is it possible to have 2 raid 0 arrays?

I did this very thing using 2 x 74GB Raptors in RAID0 on an ICH5R cont (used for Windows XP), and 2 x 200GB Seagate Barracudas SATA 7200.7 on a Promise cont, I used it this way for 12 months, and never had any problems, it ran very well indeed.

I was using an Asus P4P800 E Deluxe motherboard. :)

Associate
OP
Thank you all for the replies :)

Just to make sure, one more time. It will be ok to run 2 raid 0 arrays on the 1 onboard controller?

Soldato
jake000:

For your motherboard, the A8N-SLI Premium you can have 1 RAID0 (ie 2 or more HDDs the same) setup on the nForce4 controller and 1 RAID0 (ie 2 or more HDDs the same) setup on the Silicon Image 3114R RAID controller. :)

Associate
I have the same questions

Sorry for jumping in your thread but see http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17597672

I am using the SIL3114 onboard controller and need to know:

a) Could I have 2 different RAID sets on the SIL3114 controller?
b) Could I use all 4 drives as a single RAID? (assume another pair of same drives added)
c) Could I use a bigger pair of drives or different make of drives in either the above situations?
Any help gratefully received

RE the above post, my NVRAID onboard controller is full of legacy drives, I have 2 ports free on the SIL3114 and want to know if I can use them

Last edited:
Associate
carbon8ed said:
Sorry for jumping in your thread but see http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17597672

I am using the SIL3114 onboard controller and need to know:

a) Could I have 2 different RAID sets on the SIL3114 controller?- Dont think it will support this, maybe 0+1 though
b) Could I use all 4 drives as a single RAID? (assume another pair of same drives added)- yes, whatever types of raid your controller supports e.g. 0,1,5
c) Could I use a bigger pair of drives or different make of drives in either the above situations? yes, however it is better to have matched drives, the raid array would run at the size of the smallest drives though.
Any help gratefully received

RE the above post, my NVRAID onboard controller is full of legacy drives, I have 2 ports free on the SIL3114 and want to know if I can use them

Associate
jbloggs said:
jake000:

For your motherboard, the A8N-SLI Premium you can have 1 RAID0 (ie 2 or more HDDs the same) setup on the nForce4 controller and 1 RAID0 (ie 2 or more HDDs the same) setup on the Silicon Image 3114R RAID controller. :)

he can have 2 raid 0's with 4 drives on nvidia chipset, no need for
using SIL3114 controller at all.

Associate
I used to have 4 HDD in my case in 2 raid 0 arrays. I had a lot of data on them and started to get paranoid that one of the drives would fail and I would loose everything. I ended up doing away with the raid arrays and now just have two HDD in my case in JBOD configuration with the other 2 awaiting caddies for them to live in.

The benefits offered by using a raid configuration seemed marginal in comparison to the risk of one of the drives failing and loosing all my work. Incidently I have never had a HDD fail on me and I don't know what made me so paranoid that it was going to happen suddenly.

Back
Top Bottom