Urgent - creature ID

Soldato
so i was weeding my front garden when i came across a stranded frog - so i picked it up and stuck it in my pond in the backk garden, when suddenly i hear this flutter of wings, turn round and absolutely poo myself at this creature coming towards me...
luckily i dodged it, ran inside got my camera and took a pic and ran off (i weren't hanging about for more lol.

anyway - this creature is abpout 3" long and i've never seen one before....

creature.jpg

any ideas?

Permabanned
wez130 said:
a hornet? i've never seen one - scared tyhe hell out of me

here's a better pic....
creature%202.jpg

edit - jesus - look at the stinger on that

Dont fret.............it's an ovipositor

Still, newspaper for the win I say

Associate
May I semi hijack this thread as I have a bird needing to be identified??

Here is a link to the [not very good] picture. Picture Link.

Anyway was on my phone in the garden and saw this bird of prey (?). Dashed to get my less than average camera and managed to get a picture. Could only get one as A) the batteries died and B) the bird flew off.

I think it is a eagle of sorts. It had those rubber strips attached to its feet - so probably owned by someone nearby.

You'll probably need to adjust your gamma/constast to get a better look.

Thanks.

Hornets are usally smaller than 3 inches, usually about 1 inch.

Permabanned
Can we get a size comparison with something please. To me it looks like the size of a small bird.

I'd serve it up with some canaloni and a sprinkle of cheddar cheese malted milk and digestive biscuits.

Soldato
OP
i'm pretty certain it's a woodwasp as has been mentioned - as i said - it's about 3" body length by about 1/2" thick and apparently - they are common in the UK - i'll go have another look in my garden see if i can see it and get a size comparison - though it's probably gone now after eating my decking :D
edit - you can tell the thickness of it as it's sat on normal bamboo cane which is about 1/2 inch thick

Back
Top Bottom