Problem with leaving PC on overnight

Soldato
Hi there. Occassionally I leave my PC on overnight because it is busy doing something. However, by the morning I can pretty much guarantee that it will have crashed and I'll have to hit the reset button. Upon turning the monitor on, it is in standby mode, but no amount of mashing the keyboard or moving the mouse brings it out. The actual PC does seem to respond to things though... the hard disk had some activity when I disconnected and reconnected the bluetooth dongle and when I inserted a DVD. So it almost seems as if the computer is fully active, it's just that the graphics card or monitor refuses to wake up. Any advice as to how I can find out what's going on?

Cheers,

Michael.

Associate
My pc does this as well its a standby mode, or power saving feature and i also do not know how to get it to come back on, i should really and i did at one point but i have forgotten and i just cannot remember how to for the life at me! so i too would like to know how to get the thng back on.

Soldato
OP
I've taken a look in Event Viewer and the last thing that happened at 2:09am was Win Defender performing a scan. There were no errors or warnings. The next event after this was when I restarted the computer this morning.

Associate
mrochester said:
That's exactly what it does then in the morning the monitor won't come out of standby mode. The PC doesn't go into standby mode, it remains switched on.

Normally spacebar does the trick, just tap it once and the monitor should come back.

Is your keyboard USB? On my dads comp sometimes the keyboard would like go into standby mode as well meaning u could not bring back the monitor.

I know its out on a limb, maybe try and PS2 connected keyboard if u use a USB and try that :eek:

Soldato
I have my monitor go into standby most nights.

I use a USB keyboard and a USB mouse, space bar or a click on the mouse button works fine for me.....

Soldato
OP
babyface uk said:
set the monitor not to go into standby mode, then turn it off at the button.

Babyface UK

Then I have to keep changing the setting for when I do want the monitor to go into standby mode.

The keyboard and mouse are both USB. Tapping a key or moving the mouse brings the monitor out of standby mode just about every other time, it just doens't seem to like doing it after the computer has been on all night.

Back
Top Bottom