• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Conroe CPU question!

Associate
Sorry if this is a noob question but would this..... Intel Core 2 DUO E6400 "LGA775 Conroe" 2.13GHz (1066FSB) - Retail (CP-127-IN) be better than my current CPU which is INTEL PENTIUM 4 HT 775 @ 3.2 (Stock).
Are these chips like the Athlon X2 ones? Im thinking of giving my computer a bit of an upgrade! and the conroe cpu i could use with my existing motherboard by the looks of things?
my current setup is-
INTEL PENTIUM 4 HT 775 @ 3.2 (Stock)
GeIL 2GB (4x512MB) PC3200 Value Dual Channel Kit CAS2.5
XFX GeForce 7800GT Extreme "LED" Edition 256MB
2 Seagate 7200 SATA 160 GB Hard Drives.
Blue Hiper Modular Type-R 580 Watt PSU

any feedback would be good!
cheers
john!

Last edited:
Soldato
Conroe seems to be the stuff to get. Good price/performance and an easy overclocker.

Defo better than your P4 3.2. I plan to upgrade to Conroe from my P4 3.4

Permabanned
johntmanic said:
Are these chips like the Athlon X2 ones? Im thinking of giving my computer a bit of an upgrade! and the conroe cpu i could use with my existing motherboard by the looks of things?
What motherboard do you have?

Conroe will not work on all 775 motherboards, I think it only works on the newest boards out which were designed to support it. So if you have quite an old board it will probably not support conroe.

Conroe are the newest chips out by intel, they have 2 cores like the Athlon X2's but are much faster.. From benchmarks a conroe 6600 at stock can beat a Athlon FX 62 iirc and the athlon x2's are much faster than P4's so you should see a huge increase in performance in games.

Associate
OP
lee87 said:
What motherboard do you have?

Conroe will not work on all 775 motherboards, I think it only works on the newest boards out which were designed to support it. So if you have quite an old board it will probably not support conroe.

Conroe are the newest chips out by intel, they have 2 cores like the Athlon X2's but are much faster.. From benchmarks a conroe 6600 at stock can beat a Athlon FX 62 iirc and the athlon x2's are much faster than P4's so you should see a huge increase in performance in games.

Hi mate!
Ive got
http://www.giga-byte.com/Products/M...w.aspx?ProductID=1888&ModelName=GA-8I915GV-MF

That one!?

Ive got an mATX so it can fit in my Aspire Q-Pack case! Do you think that the conroe will work on this?

Permabanned
I don't think it will. It says in the spec it will support only P4.

I'd wait for someone else to confirm this as i'm not up to date on what types of boards support conroe.

Associate
I'm pretty certain that the 915 chip on that motherboard doesn't support Conroe, nor will it in the future.

Used to have that board myself a while back.

Your best looking to get a new motherboard and you'll also need new memory too unfortunately, if your wanting to upgrade to Conroe that is.

Back
Top Bottom