• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

will it be any better

Associate
this is what i was thinking of getting as ive got 200 pound to spend do you think it would be much of a improvement over what ive got if not what do you think would be thanks
DFI LanParty UT NF4 Ultra-D (Socket 939)
AMD Athlon 64 4000+ (Socket 939)

also ive heard that the dfi doesnt like corsairvalue selct ram is that true thanks for any help

Man of Honour
It wouldn't be, I'd not bother.

You'll likely have to spend a fair bit more than £200 for a really decent improvement, depending on your uses. That CPU is already kinda high end for single cores.

Associate
i dont think you'd see much performance increase, you might if you get a decent overclock, but games are all about graphics, and for everthing else the speed change will be small enoguh that you wont notice it!

Associate
OP
well the most i do is gaming.was going to move upto dual core but dont want to buy one now and then in 2 weeks they are half price but thanks for the reply.i hate having money in my pocket all i want to do is buy parts for my pc

Man of Honour
Nothing. You have a decent rig there already. What does'nt it do that you want to do? Try clocking the Claw some more. Should be good for 2.7ghz at least. Mine will hit 2.795ghz on air. You have the fastest 754 cpu, a decent mobo and one of the fastest graphics card there available along with 2GB ram. There is no point in moving to 939 as it's dead. Dual channel ram will only give you a minimal boost of between 2-5% so thats a waste of time. Dual core cpu's will only speed up a couple of games and may even slow some down. AM2 at the moment does'nt appear worthwhile. Certainly not until the 65nm cores become available. Conroe is due out soon but i would wait to see what the retail cpus are really like before buying into that.

Soldato
I'd go for conroe instead as skt 939 will be dead soon and will have no upgrade path, plus you wouldn't notice much difference with that upgrade.

You can get a Asrock 775 Twin rev 2 board for about £40/50. This will let you use your DDR ram and upgrade to DDR2 in the future.
Then get a Conroe E6300 for £150.
You should notice quite an improvement with this.

Associate
OP
cheers for all the advice i would love to move to conroe but thought i would need new board cpu and ram.and pastymuncher i cant get it past this overclock and thats with a artic cooler on ive had to to 2.6 butkeeps failing prime95.did you have yours upto that speed with the board your using now m8 cheers

Soldato
sunderland said:
i would love to move to conroe but thought i would need new board cpu and ram.
The board I mentioned above has 2 DDR slots and 2 DDR2 slots. So you could use your current ram and wouldn't have to buy new.

Man of Honour
Hi Sunderland, got that with the same rig in my sig mate. I have an SI-120 cooler with a Thermaltake Thunderblade 120mm fan on it. The fan is on a controller though and rarely, if ever goes past half speed. I will soon be going over to watercooling though.

How have you gone about getting your 2.55ghz overclock? Lets see if we can get you some more.

Associate
OP
im not saying its dead CS||nuTs. just got some money to burn and as my comp is what i am always on with. it seems the best to spend it on.with that asrock board i can get the 6600 then sell my stuff on and then get the ddr2 ram

Associate
OP
im running the
htt x3
fsb 230
ram230
multi 11
cpu volts 1.5
ram volts2.7
ram timing is 3-4-9-4-1t this is what my timming turned to when i went upto the 230 mark

and cheers for any help

p.s sorry CS||nuTs my mistake

Last edited:
Associate
OP
pastymuncher how about you give me your settings you had when yours was at 2.7 and maybe i have a bit of a idea were the best settings might be.i know not all are the same but its a start. cheers :D

Back
Top Bottom