Very very confused..

Permabanned
Hey guys.

I've got a couple of Akasa Amber 120mm fans here I want to put in to my Antec Sonata II Piano case.

Okay first thing.. is it possible to remove the Antec 120mm fan from the back of the case? It's fastened in with rubber screws, and I can see no possible way for them to come out.....

Secondly.. how the hell do I fasten a fan in to the case!? With the Akasa fans you get 4 screws, great, only the screws don't fit on the mounting holes in my case, and even if they did the mounts are just round holes, not meant for screws. The screws also don't go in to the fan mounts themselves either, again they are just round holes.

Am I just being really really stupid here?

Associate
nope, i bought a 120mm akasa fan a couple of weeks back and still haven't mounted, because i couldn't figure it out either! There's no thread or anything on the fan - it seems the screws are "self-tapping"

Man of Honour
There's not supposed to be any thread on the fans. The screws are self tapping and they cut their own thread. If you fit the fan inside the case you put the screws through the holes in the case and then screw them into the fans. The screw heads then tighten up against the screw holes in the case and securely hold the fans in place.

These rubber fittings. Are you sure they are not just anti vibration fittings? If so then they should pull out.

Permabanned
OP
Well I dunno what they are, I've given them a pretty hard tug but they won't come out although I could pull even harder.

acc6607_fanmounts.jpg

They look like these, only they aren't as long... they seem to be missing the long slender bit at the end..

Last edited:
Man of Honour
If they are anti vibration mounts then they should have a round flat head that is (obviously) bigger than the hole then it would have a slightly thinner bit were the fan sits and at the end it would terminate in a point. A bit like an arrow point in profile. They would be quite tight as well.

Edit

Thats them. They should pull out with a bit of a tug.

Associate
I have fitted an Akasa 120mm fan to the inside of my Sonata II using the rubber holders that you have posted a pic of, they were supplied in the case fittings bag.

They work fine, they are a bit of a bugger to pull through the holes of the fan but they work a treat, and no vibration either because they're rubber! :D

Permabanned
OP
I have a set of 4 of the rubber things... I have to pull the whole thing through the mount holes, not just the long bit at the end? :o

Problem is I've got two fans to install but only 4 rubber screws. Will the ones I am going to pull out of the default Antec fan be okay to use again, despite being much smaller than those normal ones?

Associate
I pulled mine through up to the point where they have a bit jutting out of them, that holds the fan in place quite securely?

Can I ask, why do you want to remove the standard 120mm fan that comes with the case? I've always found it to be very quiet and efficient, does yours not work as well as you'd like or something?

Permabanned
OP
At random times it'll make a clicky kind of noise and I have no idea what causes it. :D Reason enough for me to remove it, and seeing as I've ended up with 2 Ambers, I might as well have em both in.

Associate
Ah I see, yes that would be annoying. Is it on the lowest setting?

Not sure about the re-use of the rubber screws as I still have the standard fan in my case and only added the one Akasa Amber onto the back of the hard drive rack, but all I can say is that the extra supplied rubber fittings work a treat, so don't worry about using them for one of the fans.

If you want I will post a pic when I go home in about 20 minutes so you can see what I did.

Permabanned
OP
Hey mate.

Thanks but I've got it now, put one of them on to the hard drive rack using the rubber screws, works great as you say.. :cool:

Still can't get the standard fan off, it's hard to get a good grip for a start.. and even if I do get the two out near my side of the case, I dunno how I am going to get round to the other side.. :confused:

Associate
Ok cool, glad you managed to sort it in the end.

Not really sure what to advise with regards to removing the back fan as I've never tried, hopefully someone else who has done it might be able to point you in the right direction.

Hope you get it sorted soon ;)

Cheers

Back
Top Bottom