Disappointed..

Permabanned
Hey guys.

Had the stock AMD Dual Core cooler in my PC. Decided to get the Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro because according to a lot of people it's quieter and a lot cooler. Also got some Artic 5 Themal Paste cause I hear it's the best..

Cleaned up my CPU, applied new paste and installed the heatsink and turned on my PC.... 'hmm, no quieter than the other one.. ah well, at least my system will be cooler..' Or so I thought.. my temps are exactly the same. :(

Have I done something wrong?

Associate
hmm the Arctic Cooler 64 is imo the best CPU cooler i have ever used, it allowed me to overclock my san diego by a hell of a lot and keep the temps just a few degrees higher than what my current water cooling setup does at full load, i think air flow is what makes this cooler work more efficiently ... i had a fan at the back of the case sucking air out once air had passed through the heatsink, also a side panel fan which blew cold air directly onto the arctic cooler. imo its all about getting rid of the hot air from the heatsink, so if you have poor air flow that hot air coming off the heatsink will just be stuck in the same spot and temps will obviously be affected. how is the air flow in your case ?

Try reseating the heatsink, make sure to apply only a thin lair of arctic silver and once the heatsink is on move it left and right slightly to ensure perfect contact with the chip, not sure what else to try tbh as you should be getting better temperatures compared to a stock cooler

Man of Honour
I wouldn't say its the best air cooler - its certainly the best for the price.

I would consider a scythe ninja/TTBT/S.Tower to be the 'best'.

However all of the above will give about the same amount of cooling when the cpu is idle, its when the cpu is loaded 100% that is the true test of a HS capabilities.

Man of Honour
Are you sure it's the HSF causing the noise? On my system I found the case fans and more importantly the chipset fan were noisiest.

Soldato
Well I never had stock cooling so I am not sure if the Pro is cooler at load, but I am guessing so, but mine is very quiet and I cant really hear it.

Soldato
there was a review a while back on the dual core's heatpipe cooler and it is a excellent cooler, maybe the people on here thought you had the older cooler in which case yes the Ac 64 Pro would be a lot more efficient but i seriously doubt that there will be a large improvement over loaded temps from the dual core heatpipe cooler to the Freezer pro.
*on a side note i used to own a freezer 64 pro, then changed to a TT Typhoon!

Associate
I read somewhere that AS5 and AC's don't work well together as the copper base plate is not finished well which AS5 relies on. I think in the same article they said that the stuff that comes with the AC is better at filling out imperfections.

Permabanned
Coolit said:
I read somewhere that AS5 and AC's don't work well together as the copper base plate is not finished well which AS5 relies on. I think in the same article they said that the stuff that comes with the AC is better at filling out imperfections.
nothing wrong with the MX1 that comes with it

Back
Top Bottom