Just what is going on?

Man of Honour
After a fresh install of windows XP (with Sp2), latest drivers, hotfixes etc. why are some applications failing?

IE is just falling over with errors at 4 or 5 times a day. I've even tried installing IE7. No joy.

I've also noticed that the AVAST and my Folding@Home services are dropping randomly as well..

Media player is also playing up with a few failures and i have codec errors..

I've not had this many errors after a fresh install before..

Any ideas?

I was thinking it might have something to do with AVASt but i'm reliably told that it's a stable product.

Maybe I should try unintalling IE completely, then try re-installing it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Associate
If applications are crashing and there normally pretty stable then i would look at

1. Either a bad windows install and probably a reinstall to fix it.
2. Bad memory (run memtest from http://www.memtest.org) and let it run for a few hours, this will let you know.

Man of Honour
OP
I know it's not the memory.. I've had the memory for 6 months at the same settings.. I will run a mem check tonight just to make sure.

I installed a new WD raptor H/D at the same time but i've already verified that the drive is ok by running WD diagnostics.. Nothing abnormal reported.

The XP install did go in ok, but i remember the video drivers gave me sime jip.. The colours went strange even in safe mode (Basic 8bit colour iirc).

I just deleted the drivers and reinstalled.. it was fine after then..

Is it possible that some installs can be a bit flakey.. I've not had one to date?

I stand corrected.. I've just run memtest86 came back with 379 errors by the end of test2.. Is this bad?

I've not changed anything memory wise..

Settings are at stock?

:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
Yes, thats bad ;)
Try memtest with one stick at a time first & in the other slots to rule out any probs with dual channel &/ or broken slots, but sounds like RMA time.

-Leezer-

Man of Honour
OP
leezer3 said:
Yes, thats bad ;)
Try memtest with one stick at a time first & in the other slots to rule out any probs with dual channel &/ or broken slots, but sounds like RMA time.

-Leezer-

Will do.. I've just noticed i'm using an old version of mmtest86+, wonders if test is void.

I have my old faithfull PC3500 still hanging around will put them in too.

Wonders why all of a sudden there would be a problem?

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
Will do.. I've just noticed i'm using an old version of mmtest86+, wonders if test is void.

I have my old faithfull PC3500 still hanging around will put them in too.

Wonders why all of a sudden there would be a problem?
I know ToyTown suggested MemTest but I think MemTest86+ is better. It is more recent. http://www.memtest.org/

Having read your posts I think the only thing that possibly explains your problems is the new drive. I assume you installed the drivers for this? I'm sure you did but if you did then the new drive should be working fine. You've also checked the drive so it is OK in that regard.

Use the MemTest86+ 1.65 and try that out. If you do get an error from that perhaps you knocked the case a bit when you put the new drive in?

Man of Honour
OP
MarcLister said:
I know ToyTown suggested MemTest but I think MemTest86+ is better. It is more recent. http://www.memtest.org/

Having read your posts I think the only thing that possibly explains your problems is the new drive. I assume you installed the drivers for this? I'm sure you did but if you did then the new drive should be working fine. You've also checked the drive so it is OK in that regard.

Use the MemTest86+ 1.65 and try that out. If you do get an error from that perhaps you knocked the case a bit when you put the new drive in?

the only drivers i installed were the third-party SATA drivers (during install) and the Nforce 4 drivers.

I have ran a WD diagnosis and reports no errors.

will check out the new version tonight and will report back.

Many thanks

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
the only drivers i installed were the third-party SATA drivers (during install) and the Nforce 4 drivers.

I have ran a WD diagnosis and reports no errors.

will check out the new version tonight and will report back.

Many thanks
You said exactly what I feared you would. You don't strike me as a person who doesn't know what they are doing with PCs so I figured you would have installed the drivers. The 3rd party drivers are the WD ones?

Its not possible that you've gotten some spyware from somewhere is it? Or perhaps a broken registry or screwed up entries in there?

Man of Honour
OP
^^

Sorted :mad:

well just goes to show ya.. why o why did I not check the memory first..

Downloaded latest memtest68+, and re-ran with both - fail..

Ran another test with one stick - fail..

run another test with the other - pass

so I have one stick of dodgy OCZ.. !!

I'm furious with myself because it was my my own rig, i just pancked!! and for buying another brand of memory other than Corsair!!

Anyway, many thanks for all your help.. Especially MarcLister :0 I'm still curious as to what went wrong because this RAM has been fine..

just one final question.. do you think the didgy RAm had anything to do withe reported CPU failure.. even though it didn't?

Thanks god i didn't sell my Corsair stuff !!

Soldato
Admiral Huddy said:
Downloaded latest memtest68+, and re-ran with both - fail..
Running MemTest68+ would cause a failure; its MemTest86+.:p

Admiral Huddy said:
Ran another test with one stick - fail..

run another test with the other - pass

so I have one stick of dodgy OCZ.. !!
Right I think you should now take out the dodgy stick and see how the PC runs on the stick that passed the memory test. Replicate some of the conditions that caused errors with the 2 sticks of RAM just to check.

Admiral Huddy said:
Anyway, many thanks for all your help.. Especially MarcLister :o I'm still curious as to what went wrong because this RAM has been fine..
:cool: BTW fixed the ':0' smiley for you.;)

Admiral Huddy said:
just one final question.. do you think the didgy RAM had anything to do withe reported CPU failure.. even though it didn't?
Dunno. Possibly. How did you work out the cpu failed? Try running whatever test or diagnosis again with just the one working stick of RAM and see if the cpu fails again. If it doesn't then the faulty RAM was the cause, if it does it wasn't the RAM. Sorry if that sounds glaringly obvious but just putting my thoughts into words. No offence intended.

Admiral Huddy said:
Thanks god i didn't sell my Corsair stuff !!
Good move there. You going to put a Corsair stick in with the other one? Or take out both the current sticks and run Corsair?

Back
Top Bottom