can I keep original setup if I change my CPU

Associate
I want to upgrade my processor to an AMD dual but I don't want to lose any data or the programs I have. The XP o/s I have loaded is an OEM version and so cannot be reloaded. If I just change over the processor with a new one will everything remain the same or will I have to start from scratch?
If I do have to does anyone have any recommendations to upgrading to XP64.

I am hoping to just be able to buy the new dual CPU and plug it in and carry on as usual but just a little better in performance.

ANy help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

AMD 64 3500
DFI Lan party Ultra D
2Gb Geil Ram
7800 GT GFX

Soldato
That's about the size of it.....XP won't mind, although you may want to get a proper dual-core driver.....

Worth checking the BIOS on your motherboard will accept the CPU change, mind, although if it is relatively recent should be fine....check manufacturer's website to be sure.

XP64 has more limited driver support for many pieces of hardware - best to make sure you have ALL the XP64 drivers you will need first....else some peripherals/cards etc. may just not play ball.......for me, unless you have good cause, stick with regular 32-bit for compatibility and ease ;)

Associate
OP
Can I just check that you are saying I can just change over the processor and all should still work ok as long as I download a Dual core driver 1st.
I want to stay 32bit for now until they launch the fully working version of 64. I have a creative soundcard too which I know the 64bit platforms do not support properly or at all. I have a lot of programs and files on my PC and it has taken me ages to get it all set up and running the way I want so I don't really want to have to do a clean install and start all over again.

Back
Top Bottom