(Golf) Utility Clubs

Soldato
Having only just succumbed to the game of golf, I've managed to source myself a set of irons (thanks to all those who helped out with that) and have got a couple of lessons under my belt, along with a few rounds and some range practice. It's going well so far and I'm finding myself enjoying it more that I'd expected.

However I'm still missing one item from the bag - some form of wood (snigger snigger). I'm reluctant to go straight with the driver (too many shaft and loft options to be going on with) but I'm quite taken with the idea of a utility/rescue club; something I can use off the tee (I'm hitting 200-odd yards with my 3) and also from the fairway and rough if need be. Maybe around the 3-wood/19°-22° area for starters.

Do any of you golfing types have a utility club in your bag? If so, what make, what loft and what do you think of it? Are you using it regularly or is it just in the bag because you paid for it and you're sure as hell going to get some use out of it?

Budget is reasonably modest, but I'll pay for something that'll last me. I've already had a few swings with the Benross Escape 3G and the Taylor Made Rescue Mid; both seemed very nice but I've not had a chance to test any others and wondered where to start.

Soldato
I have the Mizuno Fli-hi CLK in my bag, 22°.

Love it, I use it often enough to warrant the money spent on it. I carry my driver, 3 wood and this as my 3rd wood. Use it in all situations and is also extremely useful around the green.

Soldato
I really really like my Adams 'Rescue' Strong 4 Wood. A hair less loft than a 3 wood, really low profile so it doesn't snag in the rough and gets the ball airborne very quickly. I also have a 22* Cleveland Rescue iron that does all of the above but is more compact and better for really severe rough.

Soldato
I have a ping g2 driver and carry a Taylor Made Mid rescue (no 2) it's 16 degrees so fairly low loft but i hit it about 230 from the fairway/semi rough.

The taylor mades are very good and now cheap examples of the rescue/hybrid club.

I don;t have a 3 wood as this does a similar job for me. don;t really have any confidence in a 3 wood.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips guys, a few new models there for me to have a look at. :)

What shafts are you all using? I know that stiffness varies between shaft manufacturers so would like to know if you're using the same shaft type you would normally, or have up/downgraded to suit.

Soldato
the taylormade one i have is the standard steel shaft with regular flex. should be able to get these for about £60 now or less if you look around. great buy and a good "go to club" if the driver is not working for me

all the rest of my clubs are stiff (oo eer!), including my irons and driver.

Soldato
glitch said:
Thanks for the tips guys, a few new models there for me to have a look at. :)

What shafts are you all using? I know that stiffness varies between shaft manufacturers so would like to know if you're using the same shaft type you would normally, or have up/downgraded to suit.

Go to a shop that lets you test them in a driving net or go to a range. I've got different flexes from different manufacturers. Taylor Made used to be slightly stiffer than other brands a few years back but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Soldato
I have a Callaway 20* Heavenwood, it replaces a 2/3 iron. It's got a nice high flight on it.

I also use (sometimes) my cobra 20* baffler, if I'm playing a longer course, as it's got a higher kick shaft.

I'd recommend the callaway heavenwoods. :)

On my driver and 5w and baffler, I have Alida NV-F Graphite shafts, and my irons are Nippon NS 900XH steel shafts.

Last edited:
Associate
You should just go and buy a driver - you will get a lot of enjoyment when you catch one and see the ball flying off.

Anyway, regardless of what club you get, since you are new to the game your swing speed is very unlikely to be high, so for whatever club you get I'd guess you will need a regular shaft. Stiff is for people who swing the club quicker, or need their ego inflating :p . Very rough guide is if you are able to carry your 6 iron more than about 165 then stiff is right for you. However to get it tested better when you go to golf shop ask them to measure your swing speed.

Oh and my opinion on the rescue club is that it is really just a waste of time - never used one myself , just have a 3 wood or 5 wood in the bag instead.

Soldato
Mr.T said:
Oh and my opinion on the rescue club is that it is really just a waste of time - never used one myself , just have a 3 wood or 5 wood in the bag instead.

Seriously... at least try one as a replacement to your 3 or 4 iron... it's so easy to get a nice high flight out of a bad lie in rough, or a good runner from the fairway. I used to think I didn't need one, but now I wouldn't be without it.

In my bag, I have :

Cobra F-Speed Driver
Callaway Fairway 5w
Callaway Heavenwood 20* (replaces 2/3 iron)

Cobra 3400 I/XH Irons (4 - 9)
Cobra 3400 I/XH Wedges (PW-SW)
Mizuno MP T 60* Wedge

Ping G2i Piper Putter.

I don't use a 3w, as I prefer to have 4 wedges, and can power down on the driver, or up on the 5w. Although the 5 is a fairway wood, it's still not as nice to use as the rescue club off the fairway.

What clubs do you have?

Last edited:
Soldato
bag post time!

Ping G2 8.5 degree graphalloy blue stiff shaft
Taylor made rescue 16 degree regular shaft
3-PW Mizuno MP-30 stiff true temper shafts (best irons i've ever had!)
52 & 60 degree mizuno black ox wedges regular
No 4 original white hot Oddessy putter.

taken my 3wood out recently (benross with graphalloy shaft), plan on either getting a 56 degree wedge or some form of 20/22 degree utility or a 5 wood.

only playing with 13 clubs!

Soldato
booyaka said:
taken my 3wood out recently (benross with graphalloy shaft), plan on either getting a 56 degree wedge or some form of 20/22 degree utility or a 5 wood.

only playing with 13 clubs!

I'd definatly go with 4 wedges. :) I'm never using a 3w again! :)

Man of Honour
Titleist 975j driver with regular shaft - 9.5deg
2-PW Mizuno MP30's with 5.5 rifle shafts
3 Mizuno Black Ox wedges - 52, 56 & 60
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter

Long irons are my strong suit, that's why I don't bother with any fairway woods. I've tried a few utility & rescue clubs but don't hit them as good as my irons. One of the pros I play with swears by them & even has a 7 iron equivalent, horses for courses etc. :)

Soldato
JohnnyG said:
Titleist 975j driver with regular shaft - 9.5deg
2-PW Mizuno MP30's with 5.5 rifle shafts
3 Mizuno Black Ox wedges - 52, 56 & 60
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport 2 putter

Long irons are my strong suit, that's why I don't bother with any fairway woods. I've tried a few utility & rescue clubs but don't hit them as good as my irons. One of the pros I play with swears by them & even has a 7 iron equivalent, horses for courses etc. :)

nothing feels like a mizuno eh???

let me guess - 2/3 handicapper??

Associate
i use an 11 wood from sports soccer that cost me £5! i only carry 5-SW irons, plus 3w, 5w, 7w, and 11w and LW. my 3w is solid off the tee, it is invariably straight and as long if not longer than the guys who i play with who use drivers (they are lower handicaps than me). i hit one 320yds yesterday. tbh, i rarely hit the 7w or 5w off the floor, it's mainly off the tee for longer par 3's. i was in the green side bunker on a par 5 520 yd in 2 (3w and 5 iron).

my philosophy is buy a cheap one and see if you like it (i know the quality etc can make a difference) but you'll get a good idea if you get on with it by using it, then i'll start looking for a decent one where i'll spend a bit of cash. my current 3 wood cost £30 from JJB, i like it and so i'm gonna look for a decent one soon (probably mizuno funnily enough).

nin9a

Soldato
jpmonkey69 said:
My handicap is that my handicap is 14 :(

11.3 and climing!! - played really poor this year all year! :( still down from 19 three years ago. not got enough time to play so can;t really expect much!

Soldato
booyaka said:
11.3 and climing!! - played really poor this year all year! :( still down from 19 three years ago. not got enough time to play so can;t really expect much!

I went down from 20 at the start of the year, to 14 now... :)

I recently swapped my clubs to Cobras from Mizuno MX17s, so I'm attributing some of my progression to the fact I feel a lot more comfortable / confident at address with the Cobra irons.

Back
Top Bottom