Quick q. on "daisy-chaining" network

Associate
Not sure if daisy-chaining is the right word to describe this but -
I currently have a 1 port modem/router connected to one of the 2 ethernet connections on my Asus A8N-SLI. Can I use the other ethernet connection on the board to connect to another computer ie like a daisy chain, or do I hit problems because they're different types (nvidia and something else)? Obviously want the router and both computers all to be able to see each other.

Thanks

Associate
OP
Hmm, seems to be quite a difference in price between a simple hub and a switch. Will a hub pass through gigabit ethernet or act as a bottleneck?
Not sure it's worth paying £30 if using both ethernet ports on my main computer will do the job. What do you reckon?

Soldato
The switch will be worth it. Without, you have to make sure the PC with two NICs is always on. Not to mention the amount of hassle you'll have bridging the connections - that never seems to go smoothly.

Associate
OP
Both good points. In that case I'll look in to getting a cheapo gigabit switch. Alternatively I could go wireless and buy a new wireless modem/router. Rule of thumb, what sort of speeds could I expect. Fast enough to stream an xvid from one computer to the other?

Soldato
frankmcg said:
Both good points. In that case I'll look in to getting a cheapo gigabit switch. Alternatively I could go wireless and buy a new wireless modem/router. Rule of thumb, what sort of speeds could I expect. Fast enough to stream an xvid from one computer to the other?
Streaming XviD can be done on wireless - it only needs a few Mb, something Gigabit far exceeds.

Back
Top Bottom