KillerNic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Anybody seen any preview/protype benchmarks on this card yet? Its a network card which supposedly leads to better pings and better network throughput for games http://www.killernic.com/KillerNic/, im a bit skeptical to say the least, as although im sure it could probably remove a few miliseconds on pings, i would have thought that most of it is determined by the ISP/ISP Routers/Hops etc, something this card cannot influence.

Considering NICs are also at a very low price for a good one (for the ones gamers will need at least), i would be interested in what pricing these will retail for. OCUK have any plans to sell them, and know the price? I think they start officially selling 2nd/3rd week in august.

EDIT - Just noticed that theres 64MB of DDR2 memory installed, which i cant understand, as surely you dont want to buffer any network traffic at all, you surely just want it passed directly to the system. I would also guess this is going to push the price up.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Inclined to say you're right to be sceptical. Unless you're trying to game on a 486, you aren't going to see a (worthwhile) difference.

Soldato
I really can't see how it'll make any difference at all.

Pinging the firewall here is ~0.665ms from wired clients, and even if it makes 0.200ms difference, can you even tell the difference?!

Pinging a machine on the same switch in here is 0.250ms, too.

Associate
OP
I really can't see how it'll make any difference at all.

Me neither, i also dont like the idea of "ping throttling" it allows, as i would see any kind of delibrate alteration to network packets, so that they arrive differently as kinda cheating.

EDIT - Maybe it will be awarded most useless tech of 2006, besting AEGIA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom