help me choose 20inch tft from this list

Soldato
currently using a Phillips 200W6CS20 20inch tft as i write this. but i'm giving it to my bro.

budget ~£400

Acer F-20
-good to look at
-average panel/ performance
http://tomshardware.co.uk/2006/06/27/xxl_displays_uk/page2.html

NEC LCD20WGX2
-good performance
-i heard something about bleeding issues?

DELL 2007
-i heard a lot about bleeding on this
-good performance

ok so which would you get? or do you have other reccomendations?

i'm leaning towards the acer, it just looks damn!

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi there,

Great choice of panels, all use the S-IPS panels which are argued to be the best out right now.

Apart from that is, the Formac. I would rule that out of the equation.

Then your left with the Acer, Nec and Dell.

The acer first up, looks stunning, and also has a glossy screen. It can also be used as a TV as it has scart inputs and what not! There has also been a recent hik the price so its gone down to £300 ish at some places. Very good price!

The Dell, the little more expensive at £350ish, has a great design. And I think it supports HDMI and all that jazz too? Also, dell has great service (Believe it or not) and it looks gorgeous too!

Lastly the NEC, this is the best 20inch panel on the market, and this is reflected in the price. Some say that its so vibrant that you think you can see the liquid crystal coming out at you so your scared to touch it! It also looks great (IMO). It has a glossy panel too.

I would pick the Acer F20, for the TV support and looks it ticks boxes for me. But I have a Viewsonic VX2025 :) .

If you want the best, the NEC will serve you well. All these panels suffer to backlight bleeding to some degree I think, I have it on my monitor. And apart from windows booting, I DO NOT notice it and games look great!

Edit- Some reviews

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/01/13/acer_ferrari_f20_lcd_monitor/1.html

Group tests- http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2006/03/30/20_inch_widescreen_monitors/4.html

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/articles/20inch_roundup.htm

Last edited:
Permabanned
Well if you can find the Acer for £320/340 I would go for that. Apart from the performance changes (6ms response, 1600:1 with DFC) they both have glossy panels and look great. The acer has the added bonus of better panel movement - I.E. up and down and around. Also the TV thing is a great touch :p.

But, the NEC is simply a awesome screen. Performance wise it cannot be beaten.

Man of Honour
Definitely go for the glossy panels, they are outstanding. I own the NEC and can't recommend it enough. Don't settle for backlight bleed though. My monitor has no bleed whatsoever and is a very impressive panel.

Soldato
At the moment the Dell 2007 can be had for £239+vat
It's a great performer, looks good and I really cannot fault it.

I'm sure all of the panels you've listed are excellent - all having a few pro's and con's.
If price is something you are seriously looking at then £285.35inc VAT & Delivery is an absolute bargain.

Permabanned
Richeh said:
Sorry to intrude on the thread but I am in the same position. How does the Viewsonic VX2025wm stack up against the ones mentioned here?

Thanks.

Hi there,

I own the Viewsonic - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7451682&postcount=11

Its a great monitor, but I liked it as I got it cheap (£239.99 Deliverd). The viewsonic uses a P-MVA panel, which is very good, although, not as good in some aspects as the S-IPS ones which the OP has posted.

As a standard monitor, its amazing, colour reproduction is beautiful and everything looks vibrant. But, there are known issues of the DVI input dieing, and Viewsonic is apparently ignoring this.

Also, it has no USB slots on the sides, no HDMI or that fancy stuff. Also, it does not support 1:1 Pixel mapping (but it can work with software (Nvidia)).

The price is its main attraction, cheap compared to others (£280ish if you look around).

I love mine, it has some backlight bleed but I dont notice it.

Permabanned
I suspect the best monitor on that list is the NEC provided you can live with the screen reflections. As to whether its worth £140 more than the £285 Dell 2007W, only you can decide that. The Dell for me is an above average / good(ish) all round monitor but not particuarly exceptional (other than in price).

Last edited:
Associate
Being a person who isn't fussy when it comes to monitor, I can whole heartedly recommend the Dell 2007WFP. There are no backlight bleeding issues at all, that is the 2005 version you are thinking of.

Associate
I have the NEC and considering how fussy I was and how stressed I got over my last widescreen tft. I think the NEC is a really decent all-round display. Had mine for about 2weeks and I still think its great.

Reflections are an issue but I dont think I'd want a non-glossy display after this. It seems to bring images to life and I think almost anyone who bought this screen would be happy with it. Especially if I am, as I've been told I am a fussy ******* countless times.

Associate
Have you considerd the Samsun SM215TW, it is 21' widescreen. It good for gaming and normal windsows use. Plus it has DVI, D-SUB, component, composite and s-video connectors.

Permabanned
mogwai said:
Have you considerd the Samsun SM215TW, it is 21' widescreen. It good for gaming and normal windsows use. Plus it has DVI, D-SUB, component, composite and s-video connectors.

Great TFT! (my favourite) BUT, it is over his budget and at that price, I'd rather save up more for a 24inch. But it is a great TFT!

Caporegime
In this thread i shall now pimp the NEC

i absolutely adore it, and have it for the best part of 7 months now.

Reasons why i like it :

Cable Tidy system is very neat and looks great

NEC%20Monitor%20004.jpg

2ndly, its amazing picture quality. Just to show how much better it is, i have a iiyama 17" TFT side by side with it showing the same image. look at the difference in colours !

first thing you'll notice when you fire the NEC up is how vivid the pictures are.

NEC%20Monitor%20002.jpg

NEC%20Monitor%20001.jpg

you'll have to excuse the photography on the first one, the image is slightly overexposed but you can see better in the 2nd one what im getting at.

other reason, the menu system. Love the little "nipple" very intuitive

NEC%20Monitor%20005.jpg

as for bleeding there are some people on here who are obsessive about it. If you turn out all the lights, and look at a jet black screen with nothing on it, you can see a bit of the backlight in the corners

but use the monitor normally and it never manifests itself

NEC%20Monitor%20006.jpg

like that. its only if you go looking for it (turning out all the lights, closing the curtains and stare at a black background) you'll see it.

Last edited:
Permabanned
MrLOL

In BF2, does it sometime seem there is a grey wash over the buttons? Sometimes I feel like this with my screen. All other games are fine.

Thanks.

Permabanned
MrLOL - the gamma/brightness/contrast settings on both monitors don't look right at all. I used to have a E431 and although I didn't think it was a great monitor (sold it after 2 months), one thing I thought it was good at was picking detail in darks area of the screen. The contrast settings simply look too low. The colours on the NEC are more 'vivid' but I wonder whether you've got the contrast and gamma settings set too high? If you look at the kid's T-shirt and the white plastic chair in the background, all of the detail is lost (no creases in the T-Shirt, unclear where the arm joins the shirt, no vertical gaps in the chair etc) and it looks as if the white balance is completely wrong with the wrong settings for brightness and / or gamma.

Last edited:
Associate
davidstone28 said:
MrLOL - the gamma/brightness/contrast settings on both monitors don't look right at all. I used to have a E431 and although I didn't think it was a great monitor (sold it after 2 months), one thing I thought it was good at was picking detail in darks area of the screen. The contrast settings simply look too low. The colours on the NEC are more 'vivid' but I wonder whether you've got the contrast and gamma settings set too high? If you look at the kid's T-shirt and the white plastic chair in the background, all of the detail is lost (no creases in the T-Shirt, unclear where the arm joins the shirt, no vertical gaps in the chair etc) and it looks as if the white balance is completely wrong with the wrong settings for brightness and / or gamma.

I think the camera might have a lot to do with it..

Caporegime
davidstone28 said:
If you look at the kid's T-shirt and the white plastic chair in the background, all of the detail is lost (no creases in the T-Shirt, unclear where the arm joins the shirt, no vertical gaps in the chair etc) and it looks as if the white balance is completely wrong with the wrong settings for brightness and / or gamma.

that would be the camera

on screen it looks perfect

in the photo i agree it looks horrible. hence my quote "excuse the photography" Ive got a canon powershot A30 and it has loads of functions, plus the ability to alter ISO , shutter speed etc.. manually

id take a great photo if i knew what any of it meant lol. I've tryed once or twice but keep getting lost.

Back
Top Bottom