Download Capping?

Associate
I'm moving into my new house soon, just sorting out some internet stuff, i think i'm gonna go with Ntl as i can get a constant 10mpbs connection as opposed to Maxadsl which is rubbish.
Just wondering are there any cheapish cable routers out there that can cap bandwidth to certain computers?
There will be 4 people using the internet and i just dont want 1 person hogging all the bandwidth.
Any help would be greatly appreciated,
Jim

Associate
Better still find a router with QoS, at least that way people can use the full bandwidth of the line, however everybody else will still have a good internet experience.

Kol

Kol

Man of Honour
Just for a bit of info, my router (WRT54GS v3) with hyperWRT/thibor firmware allows QOS and works well.

Caporegime
Not exactly - how you'd want to set it up would ensure that bursty traffic (like games, HTTP, pings, email) got priority over bulk traffic (P2P).
In the event that no one else was using the connection, a single user could still get full rate using P2P.

Ipcop has a nice implementation of this, but I'd imagine you wouldn't want to run it (since you'd need a dedicated machine to run it, though that machine needn't be >£100).

Associate
OP
ok that sounds good, do most routers have this?
or are there specific ones?
i need a wireless cable router.
And also are NTL that bad? i've always had ADSL but i need a reasonably fast connection and maxadsl just isn't consistent enough for my liking.

Caporegime
As Mikol said, the pre-v5 Linksys WRT54G/GS (to buy new rarer than rocking horse poo nowadays), and any WRT54GL will run third party firmware that'll readily do this.
All three are wireless, and will work fine with cable, as would ipcop that I suggested (IPcop would need some wireless device too - separate wireless AP would be the most sensible option).

Back
Top Bottom