Swearing around children ?

Soldato
Hmmm have to agree Ms. Mon, can't stand people swearing in front of kids, makes me feel uncomfortable and not sure when exactly it became acceptable to swear like a trooper in front of young 'uns. :(

However, since living away from the 'rents for a couple of years now, whenever I visit I have to consciously check myself every now and then before I belt out some crude words :o :p Guess the old swearing in front of parents still hasn't disappeared!

Though also I find it much the same on here, tis very very rarely that I think a swear word first when thinking about a reply but every time it can be equally articulated without resorted to various potentially offensive words.

And after all that, my general conclusion is that I agree with the OP. Fact.

Soldato
Swearing to me is an instinct now. I swear wherever I am and my trying to control it but it is quite hard. I too aviod swearing around children. My parents hardly ever swore. I am 16 now and I sometimes swear at home, but they dont mind.

Man of Honour
I'd agree that if at all possible people shouldn't swear in front of children and I conciously make the effort not to as well as not swearing in front of my parents. I think I swore in front of my parents when I was about 7 or 8 and got myself rightly told off about it, I haven't done it again as a mark of respect to them, they know that I do swear but that doesn't meant that they have to hear it.

On occasion I get rather irritated with myself for swearing as I often think it shows a lack of vocabulary, it doesn't always mean that but it certainly can do. I also prefer the more imaginative insults that you can come up with when you steer clear of the 'normal' curses :D

Soldato
My parents tried not to swear around me but my dad was a DIY freak and a bad one...which meant he often hurt himself or messed things up so would swear on those occasions :o

I still cant swear in front of my parents....Its possibly the most awkward thing ever...My sister on the other hand, swears in front of them all the time :o

I never swear in front of anyone im not really good friends with, and even then hardly ever...I just dont feel the need to swear...
I would never swear with kids around.

Soldato
It really saddens me when I hear young kids swearing casually in conversation, never mind in an abusive manner. My tongue slips occasionally, it's such a bad habit, I wish I'd never learned those words sometimes, and I would never swear in front of any children, mine or anyones. I remember watching The Osbournes years ago and thinking how cool it is that Kelly and Jack could swear at their parents, and their parents could swear back at and in front of them without batting an eyelid, but then that's just watching tv, I'd be destroyed if my daughter ever told me to **** off, or if I ever lowered myself to feel the need to speak like that to my children.

I'd never ever swear to, or in front of my parents. I wouldn't even say things like 'taking the ****' in front of them...

Soldato
kitten_caboodle said:
lol! Gotta love 'em :D

I remember clearing a film to be shown to 1st years when I was a sixth former and arranging the days entertainment. Unbeknownst to me, I'd seen the TV edited version and walked in to find all these 11 year olds listening intently to a conversation about er...rude things that ladies do to men! that wasn't in the one I'd seen!!:eek:

I'll never forget the look on the Head's face - I swear she thought I'd done it on purpose!

Their father never thinks to check music! He bought my eldest a compilation album and didn't know half the tracks but gave it to him anyway. I'll never forget the horror as I heard the opening bars of The Ballad Of Chasey Lain by the Bloodhound Gang coming from the kitchen as I ran up the hall yelling at him to turn it off!

He now has to get an ok off me for music!

Soldato
See from the age of 8/9 I knew about swear words, but the I was also taught respect by my dad, I never swore around any adults at school or in general.

It's all well and good telling aldults not to swear butI think I would be better if kids were taught it is wrong to use the language instead.

I know a lot will say that if they don't hear it then they can't reproduce it but as has been pointed out, a lot of it comes from music, TV, people in the street which you have no control over.

So in brief I think swearing in front of kids should be kept to a minimum but also you should try to explain that its also incorrect to swear.

KaHn

Soldato
I'm 32 and I still don't sware, and never have sworn, in front of my parents!... I'd never even considder swaring infront of children (except foul mouthed baby chavs!, when I tell em to 'Eff off' when they try to break into my car in Asda's carpark!!)...

But when out with my mates or even the wife (much to her disgust!) I considder my self a Swaring Conosur!... I know some corkers!... (being an engineer and all!!) :D

Soldato
I agree Piggy .... kids should keep their innocence as long as possible; there's plenty of time for being a foul mouthed cynic later in life! ;)

It's a vicious circle when adults/parents swear at/in front of children too.

When used rarely, swearing accomplishes it's purpose by shocking and accenting the rest of the sentence; when used every other word, it just demonstrates a lack of vocabulary and disrespect IMO.

We all learn the words quite early in life, it's learning when it's acceptable to use them that is the problem.

We (nearly) all manage to avoid swearing here so it demonstrates that it can be done if a little effort is applied.

ps ..... some fantastic spelling there Simian. :p

Last edited:
Soldato
I was on the bus home from work on Sunday evening when a group of girls about 12/13 got on from the second the opening their mouths it was effin' this and effin' that i could see how uncomfortable the rest of the bus were feeling. Especially due to the fact that they had bizarrly loud voices. I quitely turned round and asked if they could lower their voices a bit and to my surprise they did. I find older people can be quite offended by swearing as well and i really think that children need a good smack round the head sometimes.

Suspended
i specifically calling someone a ******* **** (f 'ing and c word) when I was on holiday in turkey by the pool. Some big meathead jumped into the pool and splashed my new sony cassette player! My Auntie wasnt too impressed, probably because I was 11 at the time :eek:

PFG

PFG

Associate
2 thingz

I agreee as does everybody on this topic

but unfortunately we have all done it in some instance.

Its like church, u swear once and then swear coz u swore and end up taking the lords name in vein.

its unfortunate

also

the osbournes give parents an image thats its ok

dont get me wrong i like the osbournes BUT..example in the watching/listening to it.

Soldato
Aod said:
maybe he was hoping that because it was the same day +1month, no-one would notice.
Think you hit the nail on the head. I went back to the previous page and it said 14th June. I kept scrolling up looking for the break before realising I'd already passed it.

Soldato
I swear infront of everybody and anybody.
Including my nine year old son, who understands that there are words he can only use when he is older.
Its as simple as that.

Associate
I do my best not to swear around mine or other people's kids, but I've slipped up a few times.

But I don't give my daughter too much grief when I catch her swearing, as long as she's swearing in an appropriate situation. For example she'd been working really hard on a painting for a good few hours the other week when the dog jumped up and knocked the pot full of water and paintbrushes over, all over her work. I heard a heartfelt, "O **** it!" from downstairs... and I just couldn't bring myself to blame her. She knows not to do it in public though, or at least to swear in Russian if she really has to. (She's bilingual.)

I'd heard every swear word under the sun by the time I was seven; never did me any harm.

Soldato
I work with kids on a daily basis... and I swear, and I know most of the people I work with swear, but never will I swear around children, if my parents happen to swear around my little cousins (One who calls me a lot of names lol... and he's only just turned 3) I will tell them about it... Childrens minds are like sponges, anything they hear from adults they know, most of the time they will repeat it at one point or another...

Now as for other parents who do it... as a childcare professional, I tend not to give my oppinions when it comes to parents raising their children, ive seen parents at work who hit their children in front of the other children and other Nursery Nurses... but as professionals we're not allowed to say anything, no matter how much we disagree with it... but that doesnt stop me from thinking that I think its wrong... but It all depends on each parent, some swear around their children some dont, some use bad language around their children, some dont... but its all down to oppinion in all honesty, and in mine, its a bad thing to do around them simply because children can pick up on things like that at the drop of a hat.

Back
Top Bottom