Mountain bike frame size Q for 6'2" person

Soldato
I've been looking for a new bike for a couple of weeks, looking for a XC, trails etc bike. Not a downhill or freeride monster. So whether I go for hardtail or full sus is still open.

My query is that I'm 6'2", 34" inside leg and can't decide between a 19" L or 21" XL sized frame.

Help please :)

Man of Honour
The best thing to do is simply to go on test ride(s) and see which feels most comfortable because like with clothes sizing does depend on manufacturer. People also find different things comfortable, I've got a 17"(I think it was) Kona Stinky at home and it feels fine for me(I'm 6'4") because the extra room allows me more movement which is ideal if I go offroad.

Sorry it doesn't really answer your question but there isn't a definitive answer other than what suits you is the best bike. If you want suggestions on bikes then you could try posting your budget and I'm sure someone will have a couple of bikes worth looking at and then go ride them :)

Soldato
xc 'd say your looking at 19" possibly even 21" depending on how long your legs are. I'm 6 ft1 and I have a 19" XC bike and a 14" slalom/jump/dh/street hardtail.
go to shopas and ride a few, see what you think.

full sus or hardtail is up to you, I prefer riding hardtail always have. if your spending less than £700 I wouldent touch a full sus. whats your budget?

cmt

cmt

Suspended
6thElement said:
Tried a few bikes yesterday and I'm borderline 19/21" as the 19" I tried seemed a tiny bit too small :/

I would have liked to have tried some 21" frame bikes but they didn't have any in stock :/

better too small than too big.

You can always get the extra inches with a seatpost, but impossible to get rid of size / inches.

cmt

Soldato
6thElement said:
Tried a few bikes yesterday and I'm borderline 19/21" as the 19" I tried seemed a tiny bit too small :/

I would have liked to have tried some 21" frame bikes but they didn't have any in stock :/

I'm 6'4 with 34-36" inside leg and have a 21" Kona lavadome (1998) which is a XC hardtail. Geometry plays quite a bit in the measurement. I would say the frame is too large by about an inch but I've had the thing so long I've got used to it. The way I know this is the handlebars feel a little too far away and I put pressure on my handles to support my body - the net effect is that my hands went numb to the point I found it hard to switch gears during the London to Brighton. It's fine upto about 27-32 mile XC rides though.

If I get a new frame I'd be tempted at getting a 19-20" but I would ride it first.

Geometry also plays a lot in the feel of the bike. Kona is quite "twitchy" but that's because it's designed to turn quickly for riding in forrests.
Santa Cruz is more "laid back" as it's local area for development is far more open.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom