You don't do that with Disics are you crazy?

Soldato
Just been browsing the famous acution site to see if I could find any bargins for my GameCube and noticed a lot of people take the discs out of the case and lay them down with shiny side down on to show the case and the discs. Ahhhhhh the idiots why do they do this now the disc will have hair line scratches all over the shiny side now and no way I'll buy it now. :mad:

Thats almost as retarded as the people that think the best way to clean a CD or DVD is to rub it on a shirt or jumper. :eek:

Soldato
bloody hell, cds arent that sensitive. none of my cds are scratched and i dont use cases fullstop. my cds are in a pile, this includes cd-rs. and they all work, so just relax

Soldato
OP
You'd be suprised how many scratches they pick up many won't effect the disc but I like my discs to be just from the factory perfect. I may be being a little strang but I bet there's many people that like to keep there games in the best condition they can.

Caporegime
WatchTower said:
and noticed a lot of people take the discs out of the case and lay them down with shiny side down on to show the case and the discs. Ahhhhhh the idiots why do they do this now the disc will have hair line scratches all over the shiny side now and no way I'll buy it now.

oh c'mon

if you put them down on a clean surface, or something soft like a table cloth / bed your not going to scratch it.

just the disc making contact wont scratch it

you'd have to drag it along the surface to do that. if you pick them back up carefully you wont scratch it.

Last edited:
Associate
daven1986 said:
bloody hell, cds arent that sensitive. none of my cds are scratched and i dont use cases fullstop. my cds are in a pile, this includes cd-rs. and they all work, so just relax
Relax being the keyword here.

I like looking after my discs as much as the next guy but I don't think the odd placement shiny side down (done carefully and not dragged) or quick wipe with a cotton shirt is going to destroy them.

Associate
Hi guys,

Relax is the word......while its nice to have beautiful shiny discs and its sensible to take reasonable care with them most CD based technology is pretty hardy. For instance something like 70% of the content of a cd is error correction a CD could hold over 2gb if it stored data alone!

So be careful with discs but you dont have to treat them like gold!

Cheers,
Hugest

Soldato
CDs are more sensitive than you think. Any game with FMV on it you have to take extra care of. I hate when the FMVs stop in FF games or something. Since there's no way to skip them the entire game is knackered because of one little scratch. DVD movies are really bad for it too. Most of the films I rent have scratched on them that cause the film to stop half way through. I really need to remember to check the disc for scratches before I leave the shop.

Soldato
Psyk said:
CDs are more sensitive than you think. Any game with FMV on it you have to take extra care of. I hate when the FMVs stop in FF games or something. Since there's no way to skip them the entire game is knackered because of one little scratch. DVD movies are really bad for it too. Most of the films I rent have scratched on them that cause the film to stop half way through. I really need to remember to check the disc for scratches before I leave the shop.

When CD came out in the late 80s they kept going on about how resistant to scratches they were compaired with vinyl.. I avoid putting it on a rough surface but never really had any problems with a disc being scratched.. although looking at most of my gamesnone have many marks on them anyway.

Caporegime
WatchTower said:
You'd be suprised how many scratches they pick up many won't effect the disc but I like my discs to be just from the factory perfect. I may be being a little strang but I bet there's many people that like to keep there games in the best condition they can.

Then I really hope you don't use them either. Because thats just as damaging, if not more so than laying a CD shiny side down on a duvet.

~J~

~J~

Soldato
Can't remember where I read it, it was either this week or last, but the average CD only lasts about 10 years anyway before it starts deteriating. And they said they'd last forever!! :p

Soldato
WatchTower said:
I may be being a little strang but I bet there's many people that like to keep there games in the best condition they can.
... and many MANY more who really couldn't give a monkeys if its been put data side down at some point.

I can't see the problem as long as it works a miniscule scratch that you can only see in the correct light really wouldn't bother me. Its not as if I think "I think I'll play GRAW. *picks up disc and admires its shinyness for half an hour*" :p

EDIT- your average CD will pick up about 90%+ of its read errors during the manufacture anyway. I can't remember exactly how many it was now but it was a case of thousands rather than hundreds. Once they get the plastic coating they are pretty durable.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom