• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

am2 cpu pricecuts!

Soldato
lol what is your current mobo? and as a far as who needs conroe i really think you should look into these cpu's a little closer to realise just who needs them ;) conroe is set to dominate the market and crush every comparative Amd cpu!

Associate
Crush is a bit of an overstatement. We're looking at the differnces between northwoods and xp's, not a pentium 4 and a 486!!! They're both going to be very competitve products at really good prices, no matter what option you choose.

Suspended
Well, the cheapest E6300 is on par with an X2 4600+ in games - the Conroe is therefore the cheaper processor at the moment (before major pricecuts from AMD), BUT the Intel motherboards generally cost a lot more, especially in the budget segment, so that is currently balanced out.

Soldato
i didn't mention motherboards i'm talking a comparison clock for lock between the conroe cpu's to the amd x2's or even am2's! i.e. a e6600 would whoop the pants off a 4800+ and cost a lot less!

Soldato
From what i've heard all AMD cpu prices will go down to match core 2 prices when its launched on the 24th, so in that way it might be competative.

Looking at the benchmarks, a E6600 is equil to an fx62 in most gaming benchmarks, it runs at 2.4 and the fx62 runs at 2.8 so exactly as i predicted a conroe is 400mhz 'faster' than a K8, so the k8 has to be 400mhz faster than a conroe to be equivalent.

By that logic, the E6400 at about 2.2 will perform on par with an X2 5000+ at 2.6, and the E6300 at about 1.8 will perform on par with an X2 4200.

Apart from the Fx 62 and perhaps the X2 5000+, the others will all get price drops to match the equivalent conroe, so an X2 competing with the E6300 is likely to cost the same, £150.

If that happens, there is no reason to get the conroe over the X2 except for its overclocking potential.

Caporegime
Goodeh said:
Apologies if this is old news but.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Socket_AM2_X2.html

an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4600+ for 234 + vat with no need for a new mobo?

Who needs conroe :)

The E6600 whoops the dog danglies of the x2 3800 4400 4600 and 4800
Hell even the 150 quid E 6300 beats the x2 4800 with a moderate overclock.

So answer to the question.."who needs conroe?"

Any one who wants a faster pc for the same outlay ;)

Associate
Soldato
Crush is a little harsh.Fair enough the Conroes are going to give AMD a whooping,but AMD have been doing that to Intel for years.

For the average user who plays the odd game and surfs the net there will be little difference.Sometimes people dont mind having old gen components if they are cheap and do the job.

Im going Conroe,not because it's the latest thing! Because i just landed a 13k windfall and can have what i want.However as i said,to the average user that plays CSS or BF2 a conroe based system will make very little noticeable difference.

Soldato
Crush as in loads a webpage 300x faster? Runs CSS with a 9800 20x faster?

I think to many people are being taken along with the flow tbh.

Associate
Is it really fair to compare them clock for clock? Just coz the numbers are vaguely similar...doesnt mean a direct comparison

I`d love to see a clock for clock comparison between 939 and the Prescott or Presler CPUs :D:D

2 stock systems compared..Conroe will whup AMD.

:)

K

Soldato
K404 said:
Is it really fair to compare them clock for clock? Just coz the numbers are vaguely similar...doesnt mean a direct comparison

K
No it isn't really, the K8 needs an extra 400mhz to do what the conroe can do at any given speed.
Using that you can compare them. Its not exact but it gives a pretty good idea of performance.

Theres an Fx 64 on the road maps, but amd are going to need an fx 68 to equil the extreme edition and until they move to 65nm thats just not going to happen sadly.

Last edited:
Soldato
Speed for Speed depends on what you use it for.Go ahead,waste your money like i just did.unless you are a Bench junkie or a Oblivion at full detail player you will hardly notice a difference.

I went from various cpus to the 1 i have now.Dual core opty @2.8ghz.do i notice much difference over my single core 146?No Do i notice much differnce over my skt754 3700? TBH,no i dont unless i bench.

At the end of the day you have to make the decision,will i see a massive improvement over what i currently have or can i upgrade cheaper and still improve.

Soldato
I am a bit of an AMD Fanboy hence why I will not be changing to conroe but this is not my only reason. I have an opteron 146 @ 2.8ghz on stock volts and until this cant run something or bottlenecks something that is when I will upgrade. Obviously there is people who enjoy having the best of the best and these are mainly the people who are selling there opty 170 's to go to conroe. Feel free to waste money, it dont fuss me :D

Back
Top Bottom