Can you still buy bass' ? >.O

Associate
Hey guys, i'ma bit of a sound nub cake,

How easy is it to get my hands on a bass nowa days? I don't know much about sound n things, decal bells, watts n all that malarkey.

Thing is, i boght a 2.1 speaker set for my comp about 2 years ago for 20 quid, and the sounds amazing, love the bass on this 60 watt box thingey lol :D

Few month back i boght a 200 quid 5.1 set, this time with a sub instead of a bass, 300 watts if i remember rightly, and the sound was.. crap ^_^

Am i doing somthing wrong, i don't have a clue how that sounded so bad lol.

I'm looking to get a good sound system fitted in my car soon aswell, and i would just laugh if it was totaly bad tbh.

Basically, what should i be looking for, more Dbs, watts, ? could any one give me a good example of a realy good sub, bass, thing... that has loades of bass! muha >.<

btw, whats this, any one know the proper name for it? http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/7531/thingie2vm.jpg

I thought it was called a scroll >.O it's like a material poster thing, sorryies abouts the uber bad pic ;) camra fones for the loss

/NachT

Associate
A 'bass' is a bass guitar, you are talking about subs just to avoid any kind of confusion. If you are talking about just getting a nice level of bass in your home then i would get a decent amp and a good quality set of regular speakers myself (ie no sub needed). Most moderately priced Hi-Fi speakers > PC Speaker setups imo.

I can't give any advice on car audio as i don't have the first clue about it.

And i believe the proper name for the wallhanging is 'tat' lol. Just kidding, each to their own and all that.

Suspended
Also visit local fishmonger :) like the previous poster said, are you asking about a subwoofer, a bass guitar...or perhaps fish?

Caporegime
Jesus christ man learn how to write. Also you didn't get a 60 watt sub for £20, and your £200 surround system isn't 300w.

Now we need to work out what you want - unnatural floor shaking booming crap, or a more accurate subtle reinforcement of low frequencies?

Associate
OP
Caged said:
Jesus christ man learn how to write. Also you didn't get a 60 watt sub for £20, and your £200 surround system isn't 300w.

Now we need to work out what you want - unnatural floor shaking booming crap, or a more accurate subtle reinforcement of low frequencies?

lol sorry bout my writting, i'll try n keep it... normal >.O

I want the unnatural floor booming crap, you guys soooo no i wasn't talking about a guitar or fish ;) heh.

And those prices with the wattage they are correct mate, i'll take a pic of it for you if u want.

NachT said:
Correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't this 300w ? http://img235.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled7ls.jpg

Unfortunetly that is 300watts PMPO (peak music power output) not true 300watts of power, I'm not very good at explaining stuff like this but I think the PMPO rating just means that is the maximum peak wattage that the unit can handle without blowing up, that peak could be millisecounds in length tho, not continous 300watts (I think).

Soldato
Ministry of Sound stuff is reputed to be terrible. I'm guessing you bought that as a home cinema system rather than for your PC, but anyway, if you want loud booming bass you want to be looking at Logitechs top-end PC speakers, stuff like Z-5400 and Z-5500, with massive subwoofers that are totally mismatched with the satellites, but they do have room shaking boomy bass.

Associate
OP
I didn't buy that sound system, just used it for an example. The system i did buy is total crap aswell anyway.

I guess i'll take a look at the brand you mentioned, thanks.

Suspended
What you have isn't a 300W system, that'll be PMPO which is meaningless, and the amplifier stages are probably so low quality even if they were tested to RMS standards probably be around 3-5W per channel.

If you want a good subwoofer, checkout Contrabass. You'll need a good amplifer, Crown K2 should do. Just don't look at the price ;)

Soldato
It's wierd, the manufacturers no longer seem to use that PMPO ****, but quote very unrealistic RMS values instead. I mean, even the Logitech Z5500, which is supposed to be decent quotes 505W RMS total power. I assume the power supply, all the amplifiers etc are contained in the sub unit? Its just not possible, at least not without using expensive switch mode power supplies and class-D amplification. My 2x40W RMS Rotel amp's components would barely fit in there, not to mention leaving enough room for the sub to function properly. The only explaination is that they can output that power for a few moments before going up in smoke :eek:

Associate
I would like to take this oppertunity to pimp my Logitech X530's :D

(pimp)
The quoted RMS is pathetic, 27w for the satillites and 50w for the sub. (Don't hold me to those figures, they are from what left of my memory...I don't think I'm far out though).

Anywho, since I've had them, which is getting on for 9 months now, I haven't taken them past 'half volume' (not sure if there is a technical term for it) just because they are so damn loud. I can only dream of how nice the Z5500's must sound. But I don't need anywhere near as much power, so I'm not buying them.

X530's ***!!! :D
(/pimp)

HTH

Soldato
Yes, although the quoted power rating on most speakers is wrong, 10W into an efficient driver in a well designed enclosure will produce a high output level. Most people don't realise this though, and so expect to see ratings like 200W, which the manufacturers, as such, slap on thier products.

Associate
Since you write like a text-obsessed teenage girl, maybe a 'Barbie Boom Box' would be more up your street ;)

B00005BWGK.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Soldato
fish99 said:
Ministry of Sound stuff is reputed to be terrible. I'm guessing you bought that as a home cinema system rather than for your PC, but anyway, if you want loud booming bass you want to be looking at Logitechs top-end PC speakers, stuff like Z-5400 and Z-5500, with massive subwoofers that are totally mismatched with the satellites, but they do have room shaking boomy bass.

Some people do like boomy base you know :p

Soldato
Dr.EM said:
Yes, although the quoted power rating on most speakers is wrong, 10W into an efficient driver in a well designed enclosure will produce a high output level. Most people don't realise this though, and so expect to see ratings like 200W, which the manufacturers, as such, slap on thier products.

i realise this;)

P1010024_1.JPG

big speakers, small amps :cool: powered by a 100w denon

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom