• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Help me be sane X6800 ordered Gulp

Associate
Can I make this a POLL???

Help me here please cos i'm getting very confused and in danger of making a big mistake.

I'm all geared up for Conroe. Got everything except the chip and currently running it all using an Intel 805 at 3.6Ghz silent.

I need a very fast rig because I use it for work and play...
Work is: web design and data management where i run Server 2003, IIS (loacally), Coldfusion, dreamweaver, SQL Server 2005 visual Studio and Photoshop.
Play is: games like UT and COD2 or GTR etc.

I have just changed my preordered E6700 for an X6800 because of two reasons.
1. The unlocked Multi means i could run a high Multi and lower FSB in case the motherboard does not like high FSB
2. It is available on Monday

Now bear in mind that I am away on Wednesday and Thursday next week and on holiday for 10 days on the 26th July.

Do you think i'm making a stupid mistake paying nearly £800 for an X6800

Please help - all opinions valued :)

Caporegime
SimonMaltby said:
Can I make this a POLL???

Help me here please cos i'm getting very confused and in danger of making a big mistake.

I'm all geared up for Conroe. Got everything except the chip and currently running it all using an Intel 805 at 3.6Ghz silent.

I need a very fast rig because I use it for work and play...
Work is: web design and data management where i run Server 2003, IIS (loacally), Coldfusion, dreamweaver, SQL Server 2005 visual Studio and Photoshop.
Play is: games like UT and COD2 or GTR etc.

I have just changed my preordered E6700 for an X6800 because of two reasons.
1. The unlocked Multi means i could run a high Multi and lower FSB in case the motherboard does not like high FSB
2. It is available on Monday

Now bear in mind that I am away on Wednesday and Thursday next week and on holiday for 10 days on the 26th July.

Do you think i'm making a stupid mistake paying nearly £800 for an X6800

Please help - all opinions valued :)

yes,

spend the money saved on holiday

Soldato
Yes, unless you have money to burn, which you obviously don't or you wouldn't be asking the question, £800 on a CPU is madness.

Soldato
Conroe could end up like a speedboat with the anchor down. Without the rest of the system keeping up you will just spin round in circles very fast and feel sick about spending that much money :p

Spend money on making sure you have the best of everything else first, what hard drives do you have. Get some ultra wide scsi or something

Caporegime
It genuinely makes me sad to see people spending £800 ona CPU that will lose 40% of it's value in 1 year and be yesterdays news.

The whole point of overclocking is that you take a £250 CPU and turn it into an £800 one! Buying an £800 CPU not only (in my humble opinion) goes against the core principles of overclocking, but it's just such a terrible waste. Will you notice the extra 200mhz that the £800 will give you? Is it worth the £550 extra? 0.3mhz per pound? If you had a £250 CPU and an £800 Conroe side by side, OC'd to the max, you wouldn't even notice the dfference.

I just wish people would engage their brain before engaging their wallets. At the end of the day it's your money and you can spend it on whatever the hell you like and no-one can stop you... but that £550 you save could be used for so many better things. Take a holiday, treat your kids... spend it on somthing that has some real worth.

Don't get offended... just my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Save your money mate, unless you have it to burn. The price of this thing is complete madness.

6700 is just about identical, apart from multiplier etc honestly just wait a little longer, I know its hard I can hardly wait for my 6600 but I sure as hell aint shelling out for a 6800... nuts imho.

Soldato
And I might add.. clever and devious ploy by intel, release the top range chip first for all the desperate cant waits out there first (no offence), then follow up a week or two later with the saner priced cpus. ;)

Associate
OP
Richdog said:
The whole point of overclocking is that you take a £250 CPU and turn it into an £800 one!

Thank you all for your opinions. This quote from Richdog just sums things up for me... By ordering this i have forgotten the principles of overclocking and where is the excitement in that.

I shall be on the phone to OCUK tomorrow to cancel.. sorry OCUK

I have decided to take my holiday and see what the whole market is like when i return... sensible, boring but fact.

Thanks again :)

Soldato
Richdog said:
It genuinely makes me sad to see people spending £800 ona CPU that will lose 40% of it's value in 1 year and be yesterdays news.
LOL, only 40% !?

If you think an X6800 will still be worth £470 in a year's time you're deluded.

Associate
SimonMaltby said:
Thank you all for your opinions. This quote from Richdog just sums things up for me... By ordering this i have forgotten the principles of overclocking and where is the excitement in that.

I have decided to take my holiday and see what the whole market is like when i return... sensible, boring but fact.

Very sensible choice in the end, good man! :)

Caporegime
SimonMaltby said:

You made the right choice pal, trust me on that. Have fun! :D

Vertigo1 said:
LOL, only 40% !?

If you think an X6800 will still be worth £470 in a year's time you're deluded.

It was just an off the cuff figure, why would you get so worked up over such a minor and inconsequential detail when the point of the argument was perfectly clear? Sheesh... talk about pointlessly anal. ;)

Last edited:
Caporegime
i'm going to pretend me on xtremesys had something to do with your decision, i will take a 5% cut of the savings as payment for my great advice :p

you could always, if you did wanta x6800, either just say you have on one tuesday, say you don't have time to take pics, get one for £650 when you get back and save £150. or do the same, but get a E6600 and with a little bit of etching skill turn that 2nd 6 into an 8 ;) go with the same story whichever one you choose to do(and maybe no really high quality macro shots of the cpu ;) ) .

Back
Top Bottom