Peed off

Soldato
I took my car into the dealership the other day to finish off the work ie chips on the bonnet. Anyway they dropped it off home not finishing it all because they run out of paint!! Anyway I dropped it off this morning and went though with the sales manager what needed doing etc. My g/f then noticed a huge gash on the passenger mirror, which the manager said were not done by them saying the car has only been on the forecourt (well no actually it was driven back to my house by there driver).

Anyway as a "good will gesture" they are going to replace the casing all of £15 quids worth, and I said I would pick it up when the mirror is in prob tuesday . I have already been late for work twice this week, and its a hour into work on the train etc so wanted to collect when its totally finished. Anyway on the way back from work I passed the dealership to nosy my car which to my amazement is not in the compound.

If the swines hvae taken it home for the evening, is this class as theft if its a dealer. because as you can gather I am not happy at all. Maybe it is inside the workshop. I am going to be down there first thing before they open and find out.

What are my rights?

Man of Honour
Its having paintwork done, its probably inside.

Also, our local BMW main dealer has a bodyshop which is several miles from the sales area and workshops. Perhaps yours is the same?

Soldato
OP
the reason I am suspicious is because they have told me all along they have to call someone in to do the work i.e. chipsaway type of guys. The work they did was shoddy and I told them to redo it which he replied its not us that have done it.

Man hope you guys are right.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
I can tell you know that dealers NEVER take customers cars home.

Unless its a service car that needs to be extensively driven to identify any faults then maybe a service manager will but only with customers full written consent.

Edit : Also anyone entitled to a company car gets either a brand new demonstrator vehicle, or they get a lease car.

So another reason why someone wouldn't take it, even when it comes to the worst and there aren't any cars - just take a car from stock which has tax left.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Maz said:
I can tell you know that dealers NEVER take customers cars home.

No you can't, you can tell us that it is policy at your dealer that customer cars are never taken home. You can even tell us its usually policy at other dealers, but unless you've visited every dealer in the UK you cannot possibly tell us 'know' that dealers never do this.

They do - there are well documented cases of this sort of thing happening.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
No you can't, you can tell us that it is policy at your dealer that customer cars are never taken home. You can even tell us its usually policy at other dealers, but unless you've visited every dealer in the UK you cannot possibly tell us 'know' that dealers never do this.

They do - there are well documented cases of this sort of thing happening.

Its just not worth doing, why would any staff at a dealer want to take a customer car home when they have access to other cars.

I've worked at a couple of places, one being one of the largest motor groups in the North East and the other being North Easts premier dealer for that particular brand, and they are big garages with lots of staff and this type of thing just doesn't happen.

Man of Honour
Maz said:
Its just not worth doing, why would any staff at a dealer want to take a customer car home when they have access to other cars.

Beats me but it does happen - there have been numerous threads on owners club forums where a dealer has taken somebodies car home and stacked it on the way...

I've worked at a couple of places, one being one of the largest motor groups in the North East and the other being North Easts premier dealer for that particular brand

And dont we know it :p

, and they are big garages with lots of staff and this type of thing just doesn't happen.

So that means it doesnt happen anywhere, ever? Riiiiight good logic.

Maz

Maz

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Beats me but it does happen - there have been numerous threads on owners club forums where a dealer has taken somebodies car home and stacked it on the way...

And dont we know it :p

So that means it doesnt happen anywhere, ever? Riiiiight good logic.

Find me a documented case.

I mean cars get stacked, can't help that not always the drivers fault.

My best mate works at a Porsche Centre, and one of the drivers had picked up a customers car for some service work, on the way in he was heavy footing it round a roundabout - he stacked it into the central reservation causing about 5ks worth of damage.

As you can imagine the customer wasn't too impressed/

Soldato
OP
right picked up the car, it was locked away. Looked at it and the job they had done was shoddy, then "A BIG PIMPLE ON THE BONNET" man I am angry, they denied then backed down. Now I have the bosses cooper s works till Monday :D. Total nightmare at least they have to respray the bonnet now so the original chip will be perfect, but have told them I dont want it back until its perfect. The front and rear bumpers which had marks are full of pits etc and it looks crap.

Soldato
A few years ago my parents car was used by my local Vauxhaul garage overnight when it went in for a service, when we got the car back it had cement all over the boot, one of their employees had used it to get sand and cement from a builders yard and not cleaned it out very well before returing it, cheeky sods. Mother kicked off big time and was fully refunded for the service.

Soldato
Uncles car came back with dirty back seats, even though nothing had ever been on them. Radio had been tuned to different station aswell :(

Was only a hyundai accent :eek:

Back
Top Bottom