• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

talk about shoddy drivers..

Soldato
release notes for ati 6.6.... this is only one line in the 'known issues'...

Battlefield 2: The game may exit to the Windows desktop after the game logo is displayed 737-22635

now im sorry.... but they are releasing drivers that might mean that some people wont be able the only game they probably do play!

oh and another funny one...

Crossfire does not work properly with Dell DVI displays 737-22664

how many people here have Dell DVI setups with crossfire? quite a few i imagine...

4T5

4T5

Man of Honour
They are just covering themselves as BF2 CTD's with every driver with every card with every system. Whether the testers knew that when it crashed for them i don't know.
Personally i think ATi drivers have continually stepped in the right direction.
At least they have the decency to test properly and list known issues so those with said hardware can skip the newer driver till a fix is sorted.

Soldato
so dont upgrade to 6.6 if either of those points are of interest

I agree with malc- at least they identify the problem

Iaauw one doesnt bother me at all , but will be interested in point 2 come early Aug (when hopefully 6.7 will be out)

Soldato
No more shoddy than nvidia drivers tbh. Both sets have advantages and disadvantages. Just don't bother loading the 6.6's if BF2 is the game you play.

just to point out it says it May cause problems, it doesn't actually say it will.

Permabanned
helpimcrap said:
release notes for ati 6.6.... this is only one line in the 'known issues'...

Battlefield 2: The game may exit to the Windows desktop after the game logo is displayed 737-22635

now im sorry.... but they are releasing drivers that might mean that some people wont be able the only game they probably do play!

Dont be so stupid, 1.3 patch did that long before this, it causes Server crashes and a lot of crash to desktops, usually just when youve finished loading in the map for maximum annoyance.

Soldato
OP
locutus12 said:
Dont be so stupid, 1.3 patch did that long before this, it causes Server crashes and a lot of crash to desktops, usually just when youve finished loading in the map for maximum annoyance.

well excuse me for quoting something i found.

i have never played BF2 but i am aware others do and not so naive as to assume otherwise.

i was pointing out the fact that ATI KNOW the drivers have issues and release them anyway....

Soldato
Wow, xfire doesnt look very good to me now, ive been looking to upgrade to it along with a dell panel....Oh wait, cant install the latest drivers :rolleyes:

Might sell the x1900 and get some gtx's/gx2 if i do bother in the end but i suppose it isnt helped by the fact i hate the style of the cats anyway.

Permabanned
helpimcrap said:
well excuse me for quoting something i found.

i have never played BF2 but i am aware others do and not so naive as to assume otherwise.

i was pointing out the fact that ATI KNOW the drivers have issues and release them anyway....

well first off, your not stupid! my appols as im really not sure why the hell i typed that although i was in a hurry at the time... :rolleyes: very sorry. *engages brain before fingers*

as for ATI knowing about it... better to have something out there thats partially usable and fix it along the way as opposed to having no drivers at all, but just bare in mind that the Battlefield 2 problem is probably not ATI`s fault, its more than likely the bad coding of the 1.3 patch causing a conflict with the ATI drivers. i realise you dont play BF2 but if you did you would understand just how terrible the situation is for the gamers and the servers thanks to EA games utter incompetence.

Permabanned
Jokester said:
You can get round the Crossfire limitation by using a VGA cable and a DVI-VGA adapter as far as I'm aware.

Supposedly it will get fixed in the next revision of their drivers.

Jokester

i like the New SLi board from Asrock, it allows you to use a second ATi card as a physics card :D its nice to see abit of future planning going into design.

Soldato
locutus12 said:

The 1.3 patch may well cause CTD's when loading an online game, but it certainly does not cause a CTD when simply loading the game at the game logo, so I dont think you should be calling anyone stupid TBH.

Permabanned
Mr Men said:
The 1.3 patch may well cause CTD's when loading an online game, but it certainly does not cause a CTD when simply loading the game at the game logo, so I dont think you should be calling anyone stupid TBH.

first off it does indeed cause crashes when loading from the logo screen, they can come at any time, 1.3 patch additions run throughout the game, not just for online mode.

secondly, see post 10 and read full threads as best you can in future before you plonk your foot in your mouth ;)

Soldato
I have yet to have a CTD when loading the game, and from reading dedicated BF2 forums then the problem is indeed only related to the online side of things, such as the servers crashing. I dont need to read the full thread to comment on your post either :)

Permabanned
Mr Men said:
I dont need to read the full thread to comment on your post either :)

true, you dont, your welcome to make as many incorrect and after the fact statements as you like, youl just look silly when you do it.

Mr Men said:
I have yet to have a CTD when loading the game, and from reading dedicated BF2 forums then the problem is indeed only related to the online side of things, such as the servers crashing.

Read as many forums as you like, ive got a BF2 clan of 22 people on teamspeak here who will tell you otherwise.

Soldato
It's you thats making the incorrect comments, if you have 22 people experiencing CTD's when loading the game then why on earth have they not posted this issue with Dice/EA so it can be fixed? as from what I can see all issues raised with the 1.3 patch relate to the online side of the game. It's quite suprising your clan of 22 has this issue when the 100's of members on numerous BF2 forums do not, something aint quite right with that.

Permabanned
Mr Men said:
It's you thats making the incorrect comments, if you have 22 people experiencing CTD's when loading the game then why on earth have they not posted this issue with Dice/EA so it can be fixed? as from what I can see all issues raised with the 1.3 patch relate to the online side of the game. It's quite suprising your clan of 22 has this issue when the 100's of members on numerous BF2 forums do not, something aint quite right with that.

It must be nice to be able to speak for hundreds of battlefield 2 players, not presumptuous of you at all. Its not reported to EA for the simple reason that we are well aware of why it happens and it happens for both Nvidia and ATi users and has only happened since 1.3. usually when the crash to desktop from the logo screen occurs, it continues to do so from that point at random but frequent intervals. we have been able to solve it with a full reinstall, well, solve it untill it happens again at some point down the road.

the in game CDT`s are frustrating but not as much of an issue as when it begins to crash at the logo or login screens.

now this isnt to say that the 6.6 cats may not have an issue, indeed i havent said that once so god only knows why your arguing with me. im simply saying that a lot of the CDT problems stem directly from 1.3 and as such not all of the blame can be put on cat 6.6 drivers.

Last edited:
Soldato
I aint arguing, just pointing out that your probably wrong to blame the patch, or ATi would not have identified it as a known issue, and as they dont mention what version of BF2 the issue is with then its maybe you that is being rather slighty presumptuous. :D

Associate
Thought I was going mad until i read here about crossfire not working with some Dell displays. I've just wasted a whole day trying to fix my display, which now turns off when I try to run any game or run the d3d tests in dxdiag. In other words Crossfire doesn't work on my setup with CCC6.6. Back to 6.5 I go. They should have numbered this release 6.6.6. Evil sons of no fathers.

Before anyone says it: I DID read the release notes. Not sure how I missed that bit but it may have involved tequila :D

Back
Top Bottom