New build help

Associate
I've just put together a new PC (on a very tight budget) but it works (sort off).

Bascially when playing games such as Day of Defeat source the computer freezes and needs a hard reset. I thought the issue was just DoD related but I've just reinstalled GTL and the same problem occurs on that as well. The lockup's appear to be for no apparent reason and occur at random times.

It's just clicked with me that it could be a problem with the PSU not being powerful enough, could this be the cause?

Setup is:
Abit UL8 Motherboard*
AMD 3500+ (64bit)
Ati 9800se (upgrade in the post)*
1gb Samsung RAM

*Both with latest drivers etc.

It's not overclocked at all by the way.

Man of Honour
It could be that the PSU isn't powerful enough but you neglect to mention what the PSU is :)

I'd probably also suggest running memtest86 as a surprising number of problems are attributable to Ram. Those aren't necessarily the causes but they would be where I looked first.

Associate
OP
Just clicked with me that surely if it was the PSU wouldn't it struggle to boot into Windows? As it stands at the moment it gets into Windows XP with no problems and only freezes when playing games.

Associate
OP
Will do that. However, I've just run the AbitEQ software and thats showing alerts with my ATX 12v levels. Perhaps that could indicate a struggling PSU?

Im running Prime 95 now.

Back
Top Bottom