FAO anyone who has been to or lived in Czechoslovakia

Soldato
Hi all

Im off to Prague in a few weeks and I wanted a little advice on a number of things:

1. What currency should I take? I understand they dont use officially Euros, so I will need local currency (Koruna). I guess I should take Euros too, but will US dollars also be useful?

2. Can anyone recommend a guide book (which hopefully would include some basic czech phrases)?

3. Any other tips for visitng Prague?

Thanks in advance. :)

Soldato
Joe T said:
Hi all

Im off to Prague in a few weeks and I wanted a little advice on a number of things:

1. What currency should I take? I understand they dont use officially Euros, so I will need local currency (Koruna). I guess I should take Euros too, but will US dollars also be useful?

2. Can anyone recommend a guide book (which hopefully would include some basic czech phrases)?

Thanks in advance. :)

Czechoslovakia dissolved over 10 yrs ago :p

You are going to the Czech Republic mate ;)

Associate
In the middle of prague, the squares etc, you can use euros instead of koruna, but if you want to get a bus anywhere or go somewhere out of the centre its best to take the native currency.

Just take some euros as a back up.

Plus, it isnt as cheap as its made out to be, there is a well known "English Pub" in the centre in which a pint of stella costs well over £3. Out of town you can get a pint of no-name beer for abour 40p.

Associate
I really wouldn't bother with Euros, US dollars etc. The Czech economy and their currency is pretty stable. And whilst some touristy places will accept Euros, the exchange rate they'll use will be vastly in their favour. Stick to the Czech Koruna.

A half litre of Gambrinus, Pilsner Urquell, Krusovice (hardly no name beer, in fact it's some of the best in the World - you'd have to be crazy to drink Stella or Heineken over there :)) can be got for around 30-40Kč in the centre as long as you avoid the really touristy bars (so £1 or so). Further out, say in Zizkov or Holesovice you're looking around 20-25Kč for a beer (so 50-65p).So yeah, it's pretty cheap.

Other stuff is nowhere near as cheap though. When I was over there last week I found that food was pretty expensive. McDonalds was around £3-4 and a semi decent meal in a bar (Zizkov) was around 169Kč, so pretty expensive compared to the rest of the Czech Republic. Accommodation can be cheap still though, as is transport (30Kč with luggage from the airport to Central Prague is a bargain). Avoid taxis like the plague too - 90% of drivers are highly experienced at ripping off tourists, so really treat them as a last resort.

Other general advice is to watch out for pickpockets. They're really quite prevalent, especially throughout the Old Town and up by the Castle. Watch out for dodgy lap dancing clubs too - they'll promise you free stuff but by the time you get there you're paying a hell of a lot for not much.

Guide book wise, any relevant Lonely Planet is the best bet. Either their Czech Republic or Prague one should have what you want.

Last edited:
Associate
Ooohh I'm leaving for prague on tuesday aswell!! I'm basically taking Euro's for the journey there and back, and czech and slovkian kroner for the time that i'm there. If you happen to see an advert for Surrey County Youth Orchestra come and listen :D :D :D

Soldato
I really fancy a visit to the Czech Republic but have been put off prague as most people describe it as a rip off full of pick pockets Or an Eastern European Blackpool.

Where else in the Czech Republic is worth visiting?

Soldato
Are you going to see the culture of the city or is it going to be a boozy weekend?
I've been once before and thought it was great, mostly spent time in bars but did a reasonable amount of site seeing as well (Don't watch the clock tower on the hour, it's rubbish!!)
As said above don't go to the touristy spots to drink, it's no cheaper than over here. Head to the proper Czech places - much better atmosphere as well as being cheaper.

Heading back there on 5th-7th August with 12 other blokes - should be interesting :p

Soldato

just take your pounds and change it in the bank here.

www.allpraha.cz or timeout

Don’t eat or drink in the rip-off bars in the square

Back
Top Bottom