Trip to Newcastle

Sem

Sem

Soldato
Hi

me and my mates are planing a trip to Newcastle in a few weeks and i was wondering if any locals can help us

We are taking the GNER train from London and i 'think' it will take us to Newcastle station

is this near the city center? are there any cheap hotels clubs/bars around
we don't want to travel too far as we are on foot
my mate hasn't had his license long even to rent a car

thanks

Soldato
Went last weekend and had a great time :D We drove, road trips and a lot more fun than trains :)

We stayed in the Premier Lodge on City Road, great location I'd book ahead though. It's £63 for a twin/double so pretty good.

Soldato
Central Station is just that - very central. There are plenty of Travel Inns etc to stop at and a good metro service to take you round so you don't need a car :) If the weather stays like this you can even take the metro down to Whitley Bay and enjoy the beach :cool: Like everywhere there are cheap pubs and expensive ones but you'll find most are pretty good and / or have offers on.

Are you going to be on a drinking weekend or a sight-seeing weekend as well?

Sem

Sem

Soldato
OP
we considered driving but it will take around 6-7 hours from London

anyone heard of the clubs Baha/Baja, SEA, ATTIC, Tiger Tiger

are they near the city center

what is/are the best clubs up there

Kell_ee001 said:
Are you going to be on a drinking weekend or a sight-seeing weekend as well?

hmm mainly drinking and debauchery ;)

thanks

Soldato
Attic's cool Sea's a bit cheesey. Tiger Tiger's a large chain, never went to the Newcastle one. Baha/Baja is apparently good. Go to Osbournes in Jesmond between 5-7pm it's happy hour and they have a cool little game to play choosing your offer :)

Quay's = good bars etc

Big Market = Hen do's and easy girls :o

Soldato
Baja Beach Club - always packed, rather cheap and full or charvs
SEA - similar but not as cheap (iirc)
ATTIC - never been tbh
Tiger Tiger - dance music with better people but more expensive too.

If you're out for a boys weekend you're best bet is friday in Whitley Bay, saturday in Newcastle and Sunday in Jesmond. In Whitley you do the strip and work your way down the the sea front and the clubs. Jesmond you do Osbourne Road, starting at Osbournes and going along sitting in all the beer gardens. Newcastle you have the choices of the Bigg Market, Quayside, Central and the Haymarket/The Gate mainly. Bigg Market (the meat market) you'll find all the easy girls, Quayside is a little more classy but not really by much, Central is trendy without being too expensive and The Gate is trendy and is expensive. (There are other areas / bars that don't really come into any of these obviously but I'm guessing this is the kind of thing you're after since you asked about the places above.)

Best way to travel is either via train or plane (both have metro stations for travelling to / from)

Associate
Baja is always full of charvers and 16 yr olds, so is Sea - would personally avoid those two! Blu Bambu isnt quite as full of charvers and idiots, it has a few though. My two fav nights/clubs are Shindig at Digital (prog trance/house) and Bulletproof at the Carling Academy (indie) - both on Saturday night.

Craig

Soldato
You can kick the night off in the Revolution just opposite the station, Blu Bambu is quite good fun. Digital is supposed to have one of the best sound systems in Europe (I’m told) but it’s rather dark in there (as in pitch black).

Soldato
Kell_ee001 said:
SEA - similar but not as cheap (iirc)
ATTIC - never been tbh
Tiger Tiger - dance music with better people but more expensive too.

Also Shindig @ Digital (probably best club in newcastle imo)- Saturdays normally house :D

Foundation - Same sort of trancey house, havent been since it lost shindig tho.

Quite a few bars are open till late and are quite good - Revolution next to central station plays funky house almost all the time.

Quayside is open till 1 or 2 (not sure tbh)

KaHn

Sem

Sem

Soldato
OP
thanks for all the help

anyone got a link to a map of the city and advice on cheap hotels/B&B

3 or 4 of us going and we want a cheap decent hotel with or without catering

no more than £80 per person for 3 nights (Fri, Sat, Sun)

Associate
Kell_ee001 said:
Charvs in baja? You havin' a laugh? I ain't been there for a while but I have never ever ever.....ever seen a chav of any description in that place.

It's just full of middle aged hairy women :(

If you want to find some charvs go to Ikon. Unfortunately, I like the music there, shame that a fight usually brings the place down.

Sem

Sem

Soldato
OP
hi sorry to bump an old thread but I'm having some problems with getting up there

during the summer when we first planned to go tickets from London kings cross straight to newcastle was a flat £10 per person

we didn't manage to go then but now we plan to go at the end of the month and the price has go up to around £50 per person and that's just oneway :mad:

we are only looking to spend a max of £40 on travel (return as well)

is GNER the only train service that goes up there

there must be a cheap way to get from london to newcastle :(

(btw coach is out of the question)

thanks

Soldato
Have you tried going to the station booking office and asking there?

I went from Newcastle to York about a year ago and it cost £17 cheap day return when I turned up at the station and asked. My mother tried to get a ticket from Newcastle to Doncaster recently and it was going to cost £40 for one way booking over the phone!

They seem to hide the cheaper fares on their websites so it will probably be best to go to the station and enquire.

Back
Top Bottom