Have you ever bought a new car from a dealership?

Don
Having just paid a deposit on a new car, I'm interested to see peoples views. I checked around a couple of local independents for sourcing it, but they couldn't offer me any savings.

Jokester

Soldato
nope. couldnt bring myself to do it either for money reasons. as good as burning money.

whether you get a good car will depend on what you buy. my old man got a brand new Discovery back in 92, as expected with land rover it was a bag of nails.

my neighbour brought a e270cdi last year. it came out of the showroom in limp mode. has been back since to remedy it, but has remained in limp mode to this day.

i cannot see too many benefits in buying a new car/burning your money

Associate
Yes

Toyota - Staff were very polite and not pushy.
Its been over a year now and everything is going silky smooth.

Have bought from a Renault Dealership and they were also very good.

Mercedes was ok - very pushy to spend more money - The whole thing went brilliant and no hassle like above ^

BMW was also a good experience - no after sale hassle

My latest experience was Ford - And it was dreadful! - there paperwork was all over the place - Also servicing was a joke.
They got a hammer and they cracked some part of my brakes! How I found out about this was a friend at a local garage showed me the fresh hammer marks!

So I went to the dealership with my friend and showed the manager what they had done - so he gathers the mechanics, the mechanics start making excuses that wern't true. They thought me and my friend didn't have a clue about motors - until my friend laughed and told him he was a mechanic from "such and such garage" and that was the most BS excuse he had heard. They then turned bright red and looked as if they was about to cry. They then fitted the parts they damaged on purpose free of charge.

I don't regret buying from Mercedes, BMW, Renault and Toyota.

Ford - I do - The whole buying from there in the first place was annoying and never again.

However this is my experience of the above dealerships - some dealerships may differ.

Associate
Bought my CTR from Honda 2 yrs ago brand new. Then traded it in for a new Jazz 2 weeks ago :D Why I did that is a different story ( running costs, etc).
My Honda dealership were extremely helpful and polite, and they always clean my car when I get it serviced.
No I don't regret buying a new car, at least not a new Honda.

Soldato
Yes I've bought four new cars from a dealership All peugeots, friendly helpful sales staff. didn't regret it in that respect.
The only thing I regret is throwing all that money away. :rolleyes:
Part ex'd the first one when I bent it.
Part ex'd the second one after some scum broke into it and the repair (by them) was *****.
Sold the third one to my old dear and Bought outright the roadster (biggest mistake) Lost over 10k on that, sold it privately and then bought an Impreza.

The Subaru dealership however was the most un-helpful bunch of ****sucking slimeballs I'd ever come across,
Paid by Finance originally but they were so inept I paid it off before the first instalment so they didn't get thier cut. :p

Andy

Man of Honour
Jokester said:
Having just paid a deposit on a new car, I'm interested to see peoples views. I checked around a couple of local independents for sourcing it, but they couldn't offer me any savings.

I imagine you have just ordered something like a BMW or a Mercedes-Benz - otherwise I bet I can find the same car, brand new, main dealer supplied at at least 10% less than you paid..

Soldato
All our cars are from new and AFAIK we dont regret it, only ever bought new because of Employee Discount.

Edit - Allen Ford seem really good and willing to help, Dagenham Motors, their dealership was really messy and no one even came up to us to help us and when we did ask they took AGES to sort stuff out.

VW also seem to take a dogs age and didnt seem interested (Probably because we were getting the discount...but still.)

Soldato
My first car was a used '91 106XT which I bought in '93. Two years later I part-exchanged it for a brand new 106 XSi 1.6 which was the one and only time I've ever bought a brand new car.

Do I regret it? Difficult question. The car cost me circa £10k and there's no doubt that I was a bit naive back then about what that could have bought me on the used market but OTOH the experience of owning a brand new car that no-one else had owned before me was quite special at the time.

Two years after than ('97) I got my first company car, which although only a Rover 200 diesel (eek!) was brand new and I'm now coming up to the end of the lease on my third. It's a bit hard to draw comparisons between new and used cars as I've only paid for one example of each with my own money and I don't know when I'll ever pay for a car with my own money again.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
iBot said:
If so do you regret it?

I haven't. Dad bought two - a Fiat Stilo, then chopped it in at a dealer a few years down the line for a new Fiat Panda MultiJet. Don't think he regrets either.

***edit***

Bought the Seicento new, but not from a Fiat dealership - was from Tins.co.uk. Bought for £5k, given nigh-on completely trouble free and cheap motoring for the entire time we've had it. Absolutely no regrets there :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
JRS said:
Bought the Seicento new, but not from a Fiat dealership - was from Tins.co.uk. Bought for £5k, given nigh-on completely trouble free and cheap motoring for the entire time we've had it. Absolutely no regrets there :)

Thing is though, there is as much chance that £3k worth of used Seicento would have given the same experience for £2000 less money. So, in essense, that £2k extra got you nothing but dubious at best 'peace of mind'.

The 'omg new car' thing wears off the second the plate becomes last years/you get the first scratch anyway..

JRS

JRS

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
Thing is though, there is as much chance that £3k worth of used Seicento would have given the same experience for £2000 less money. So, in essense, that £2k extra got you nothing but dubious at best 'peace of mind'.

The 'omg new car' thing wears off the second the plate becomes last years/you get the first scratch anyway..

True enough, but £3k of used Seicento wouldn't have lasted six years :) Much as I love that car they don't have an A1 perfect reliability record for the most part, and at least with buying it new you have a chance at maintaining it properly across it's life.

Heh, just remembered - the nuova 500 will be out in '07, and I'm fairly sure Dad will be buying a brand-new one of them first chance he gets.....Mum's been muttering about it looking quite cute.

Man of Honour
Vertigo1 said:
How would you know? :p

I might not have owned a new car but I've driven a few and found no real difference between them and a decent used one - so clearly the appeal must be the 'omg new' and 'wow so shiney' thing :p

And having seen 2 years of town-use turn my 100% mint paintwork Mondeo into a car with scratches and small trolley/door dinks on it, I'd be beside myself had I bought it brand new* :(

* that and the now £19,000 depreciation.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
[TW]Fox said:
And having seen 2 years of town-use turn my 100% mint paintwork Mondeo into a car with scratches and small trolley/door dinks on it, I'd be beside myself had I bought it brand new* :(

I dunno how we managed it between us, but the Seicento doesn't have a single scratch or dent on it right now aside from a couple of paw dents in the bonnet from the cat using it as a landing pad from the roof. The Panda is dent-free, but isn't all that old so it's not surprising.

The Olds also doesn't have a dent even after 22 years, but that's only on account of the steel being around an inch thick....

Man of Honour
I'm not talking about proper dents, those little dinks you can only notice when the light catches them and you look right down the side of the car.

Back
Top Bottom