Akasa 3-pin to 4-pin Adapter

Soldato
Hey

Will these work the opposite way? i.e my fans are 4 pin molex cables, but i want them to run through a 3 pin power cable?

Thanks

:)

Soldato
I bought two adaptors to get fans with only a molex connector to work on a 3pin connector, so they do exist and they do work. I don't think those adaptors will work the opposite way tho.

Soldato
They won't work the opposite way, although i managed to re-wire them once so that it worked. I did a really bad job of it though and i ended up having to tape it together :p

The ones i'm using right now came with my Vantec fan controllers but i doubt they will be sold separately.

Soldato
These adaptors exist and are available in the uk. I can't say anymore i'm afraid.

Edit: Its called 'Molex Fan Adapter T Balancer 4 to 3'. Google it.

Soldato
OP
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I just had a scout on overclockers, isn't this what i'm after?

akasa4-3pin.jpg

Soldato
benjo said:
Hi, thanks for the replies.

I just had a scout on overclockers, isn't this what i'm after?

akasa4-3pin.jpg
No, that is not the correct adaptor.
See it only has two wires, one black, one yellow?
Its to allow rpm sensing on fans with only a molex connector. It will not allow you to control the fan in any way. The adaptor you want needs to have a red and black wire to the molex plugs.

This is it:
1921lw2.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Joe42 said:
No, that is not the correct adaptor.
See it only has two wires, one black, one yellow?
Its to allow rpm sensing on fans with only a molex connector. It will not allow you to control the fan in any way. The adaptor you want needs to have a red and black wire to the molex plugs.

This is it:
1921lw2.jpg
I think they're just coloured differently, look at the placing of the wires in the akasa picture and in yours.

EDIT:

Found a clearer picture from Akasa's site:

water_mark_ak_cb423_adpt.jpg

Akasa Website said:
Akasa cable adapter allows you to connect a fan with a 4-pin connector to a fan control unit with 3-pin connection.

:)

Last edited:
Soldato
Nope, i have several of the Akasa ones that came with fans, they do not allow fan control, only rpm sensing.
Yellow is rpm, black negative and red positive.

Edit: Just had a look at one of mine, your right sorry. It looks the same but there is a gap between the yellow and black cables.

Last edited:
Soldato
Joe42 said:
Nope, i have several of the Akasa ones that came with fans, they do not allow fan control, only rpm sensing.
Yellow is rpm, black negative and red positive.

Edit: Just had a look at one of mine, your right sorry. It looks the same but there is a gap between the yellow and black cables.
Never said this before but i think this calls for it.....Owned? :p

Soldato
mark1 said:
Never said this before but i think this calls for it.....Owned? :p
Hey it was a valid point and a very easy mistake to make, the two adaptors look very similar, both made by akasa, both with 1 yellow and one black cable, but the ones i have here don't allow fan speed control.

Soldato
Joe42 said:
Hey it was a valid point and a very easy mistake to make, the two adaptors look very similar, both made by akasa, both with 1 yellow and one black cable, but the ones i have here don't allow fan speed control.
I was just playing around mate ;)

I know it's an easy mistake and i have to admit that i thought you'd proven me wrong at first :p

Soldato
I went and bought mine from somewhere else because i thought the ones from OcUK were the wrong ones. Now i can get some more with my next order from OcUK, so i'm glad you pointed it out. :)

One thing to remember about these things, they aren't really supposed to exist and they allow you to do a few things that you aren't supposed to be able to thanks to the male/female types of connectors.

For example, if your an idiot like me you can plug a molex cable into a fan controller (it survived) or into a motherboard header (which might not survive)...

Last edited:
Associate
i got 2 with my thermaltake hardcano 13 fan controller
they also have the yellow rpm

the ones on overclockers are not the correct ones, dont look
like the ones i have

mine has black wire to black wire yellow wire to red wire on the molex
normal 3 pin, then the speed sensor is a female 3 pin.

ill try get photo, my memory card is goosed somehow.

Soldato
james32 said:
i got 2 with my thermaltake hardcano 13 fan controller
they also have the yellow rpm

the ones on overclockers are not the correct ones, dont look
like the ones i have

mine has black wire to black wire yellow wire to red wire on the molex
normal 3 pin, then the speed sensor is a female 3 pin.

ill try get photo, my memory card is goosed somehow.
All the ones at overclockers are lacking is the speed sensor wire. I'm guessing what you mean is that your cables have a separate 3 pin connector for plugging into the mobo?

The ones on overclockers will work.

Back
Top Bottom