Work Problems

Soldato
Had some big projects to deliver on friday, but on thusday the boss had me doing me the techies job of fixing internet, wrong phone extentions etc, so i was there untill 3am finishing off. On friday went to see the director to have a moan, he tells me he is making the boss redundant and making me the line manager! (he is currently an executive manager so i would be lower than him and not directly replace him.).

Obviously i can't tell anyone in the company, but he wants me to sign a one year contract with 100%!! payrise and choose 50% of the staff i want to keep :( . At 20 this seems a big decision to make but i don't want to turn the opertunatity down, but if i balls up he's made it clear that my contract won't be renewed but the experiance would be invaluable on my cv whether i sink or swim. It won't be known to anyone else that i made the desicion (who to make redundant) so thats one worry of my back :(

Would you take the job, not sure if its too much responcability at 20? (have been at the comapny since 16)

(sorry for bad spelling, i am dyslexic and have had a drink!)

Soldato
Sounds like maybe he doesnt want the decision to lay of 50% of the staff to be made by him, if you feel its a decent opptunity take it, if you dont someone else will and you may be one of the 50% of people who leave?

Soldato
Sone said:
Had some big projects to deliver on friday, but on thusday the boss had me doing me the techies job of fixing internet, wrong phone extentions etc, so i was there untill 3am finishing off. On friday went to see the director to have a moan, he tells me he is making the boss redundant and making me the line manager! (he is currently an executive manager so i would be lower than him and not directly replace him.).

Obviously i can't tell anyone in the company, but he wants me to sign a one year contract with 100%!! payrise and choose 50% of the staff i want to keep :( . At 20 this seems a big decision to make but i don't want to turn the opertunatity down, but if i balls up he's made it clear that my contract won't be renewed but the experiance would be invaluable on my cv whether i sink or swim. It won't be known to anyone else that i made the desicion (who to make redundant) so thats one worry of my back :(

Would you take the job, not sure if its too much responcability at 20? (have been at the comapny since 16)

I would say go for it if it means more money :p . Only go with it if you feel confident though :)

Soldato
OP
ste_bla said:
If you dont take it then you could be part of the 50% out.. especially as it could be seen as a weakness

never thought of that :eek:

The only negative point except for the one year contract is i was up for a company car in april but i have to give that up :(

i think you lot are right i have to take the job its just a bit daunting :(

Man of Honour
Sone said:
The only negative point except for the one year contract is i was up for a company car in april but i have to give that up :(

I'd say that doubling your pay ought to be about enough to buy your own car so that isn't really a problem is it? :)

Good luck if you do go for it, it might seem daunting but you are unlikely to have been picked if they don't think you can do it. One question though, is your company really not busy enough so that you can lay off half the workforce? If so I'd be wondering about job security and/or how much extra work I was going to be getting dumped with.

Soldato
It's a really hard moral decision imo. As others have mentioned, you could be in that 50% of redundant people. Even if you take that position or don’t take the position, 50% of the work force is being removed at the end of the day. It seems sensible for you to choose who gets removed, obtain a very nice raise in pay and some excellent material for your CV. I think the saying "Look out for number one" applies here mate, go for it.

Soldato
100% pay rise?
Where's the issue here? ;) With regards to the firing of people, if you don't take the job, someone else will, and you might be in the firing line.

Suspended
i dont see an issue. your 20, being offered a line managers job with a beefy pay rise. no one will know about you making them redundant and itll give you the chance to get rid of some of the people you dont like aswell!

go for it!

Soldato
OP
semi-pro waster said:
One question though, is your company really not busy enough so that you can lay off half the workforce? If so I'd be wondering about job security and/or how much extra work I was going to be getting dumped with.

Company has made 119 shop floor redunancys in 12 months but 0 staff, we have been selected to lose 50% of staff because we are having a new ERP system and currently around 60%+ of our time is take up looking after this. Its and a system thats been here since thr 80's! and no manufactor support since the late 90's!

Soldato
Sone said:

I know people who would by other people's hands off to be in such a situation.

Get in there, don't think about friends (friends don't exist at work), just think who is going to be useful enough to get the job done, fire the incompetent ones, and the ones that might develop into a threat.

Since you're gonna be in a position of responsibility, it will be much easier for you to blame someone under you and get rid of them before the people above you notice :p

Back
Top Bottom