If i cancel a contract within 12months, is the phone out of warranty?

Soldato
I've had my w800i for 7months now on contract, if i quit this contract, will they deny me warranty repairs? Or is the phone still under warranty for the remainder of the 12 months?

I'm wondering since i'm going to get Phones4u to buy me out of my contract but my phone still needs a repair

Man of Honour
The warranty is with the handset manufacturer, not the network, so there should be no problem with warranty repairs via the manufacturer.

Associate
Dolph said:
The warranty is with the handset manufacturer, not the network, so there should be no problem with warranty repairs via the manufacturer.
Actually its with the retailer....

Any how, in a nutshell even if you cancel the contract the handset is under warrenty.

In case anyones missed it by the way, Handset warrenties have changed.

Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC, QTek all now offer 24 month warrenties on handsets. The change went through this year, although not sure when.

Motorola still only offer 12 month warrenties.....

Soldato
OP
Airax said:

Any how, in a nutshell even if you cancel the contract the handset is under warrenty.

In case anyones missed it by the way, Handset warrenties have changed.

Nokia, Sony Ericsson, Samsung, HTC, QTek all now offer 24 month warrenties on handsets. The change went through this year, although not sure when.

Motorola still only offer 12 month warrenties.....

2 years? awesome!

is that because 18month contracts are getting more popular?

Man of Honour
Airax said:

Actually, it isn't. The retailer is responsible for facilitiating repair for inherant faults. For the first 6 months it's assumed that the fault is inherant, after that it's for the customer to prove the fault was inherant and not developed (sales of goods act). Something that's rather hard to prove with a mobile phone. Most retailers will assist you in sending the phone to the manufacturer (or someone authorised to do warranty repairs on their behalf) at any time though.

Don't confuse warranty with statutory rights, the two are fundamentally different things. Your statutory rights are with the retailer, your warranty is with the manufacturer. The warranty gives you additional rights and benefits to your statutory rights. A warranty protects you against faults developing for the length of the warranty, whereas your statutory rights protect you against inherant (ie present at time of purchase) faults, with restrictions and limits.

Associate
Dolph said:
Actually, it isn't. The retailer is responsible for facilitiating repair for inherant faults. For the first 6 months it's assumed that the fault is inherant, after that it's for the customer to prove the fault was inherant and not developed (sales of goods act). Something that's rather hard to prove with a mobile phone. Most retailers will assist you in sending the phone to the manufacturer (or someone authorised to do warranty repairs on their behalf) at any time though.

Don't confuse warranty with statutory rights, the two are fundamentally different things. Your statutory rights are with the retailer, your warranty is with the manufacturer. The warranty gives you additional rights and benefits to your statutory rights. A warranty protects you against faults developing for the length of the warranty, whereas your statutory rights protect you against inherant (ie present at time of purchase) faults, with restrictions and limits.

Aplogies, it was poorly worded. Any who, it doesn't matter, even you end the contract, the phone is covered upto the warrenty period.
I wonder how retailers are going to handle the change in warrenty lenghts. Has Orange told the rest of their staff?

Man of Honour
Airax said:
Aplogies, it was poorly worded. Any who, it doesn't matter, even you end the contract, the phone is covered upto the warrenty period.
I wonder how retailers are going to handle the change in warrenty lenghts. Has Orange told the rest of their staff?

In general manufacturer warranty isn't something we deal with, as replacements are carried out internally, either within the 6 month responsibility period or via insurance. It's quite rare we actually refer someone back to the manufacturer as it's a longer and more inconvient process for the customer.

It is nice to see the manufacturers starting to bring the warranty periods up though.

Associate
Dolph said:
In general manufacturer warranty isn't something we deal with, as replacements are carried out internally, either within the 6 month responsibility period or via insurance. It's quite rare we actually refer someone back to the manufacturer as it's a longer and more inconvient process for the customer.

It is nice to see the manufacturers starting to bring the warranty periods up though.

Not if you buy a Motorola though.....

Back
Top Bottom