old school celeron

Associate
How far could I push an old school Celeron. Cpu-z is telling me its a Coppermine-T and at stock should run at 1ghz. I've already got it at 1.24 on what I can only assume is stock voltage (1.76v) as I don't think I have the option to change it in my bios.
I'm running an old DFI motherboard (CW35-L).

Associate
That T means it's a Tualitin revision core and I think they went upto about 1.4g.

Your ceiling will be a little above or below depending on the chip and if your mobo allows you to up the volts.

Associate
OP
Cheers, I've had a little play, but it won't go above 1.33 ghz (133x10) due to the multiplier not going over 10. It says 11 and 12 in the bios, but when set to these and booted into windows, cpu-z says 10x. Any ideas? It seems to be quite stable at 1.33ghz though, which is good (by my standards)

Associate
You could try 140 with a little extra volts?

You only be a smallish step upto 1.4

If that doesn't work that it could be your memory holding you back. You could try loosening up the timings.

Associate
OP
Cheers, I don't think I have any options for changing the voltage (this board is quite a few years old) but I'll take a look. and I think the memory settings are also very limited, but there are some available so i'll also test them out.
I don't think 1.33ghz is too bad out of a 6 year old cpu that hasn't been used in over 2 years

Associate
I think it's great. If I were you once I upgrade it i'd stick a large disk and wireless card in it, throw it in a cupboard and call it a file server

Associate
OP
OK, just had one last look (only have 1 monitor cable so have to keep switching between this pc and the celeron) and the ram timings are the loosest (is that a word?) they can be at 3-3-3-6 and I can't change the voltages at all. May have to see if its because it is a fujitsu-siemens computer and they have modified the bios. Also tried 150x9 but it wouldn't boot.
The only thing is it doesn't have a floppy drive attached, can you update the bios via usb?

Associate
On that age mobo (tualitin ready) you should be able to. I had a mobo that came with a PIII-800 which could boot from USB.

Socket 370 was solidly multiplier locked so I wouldn't waste your time trying any multi's other than 10.

You could check on the mobo for a make and model. MSI used to make a lot of oem boards as did Jetway and others.

Back
Top Bottom