Our long distance wireless testing... 1.2KM wifi ;)

Man of Honour
Just thought I'd post up with the results from the "wokfi" test we ran yesterday as when we announced we were going to use something similar for our LAN event, some people were a little skeptical :)

Basically, we built two "wokfi" dishes (as shown here), mounted one in the back window of my friend's house (facing over a valley) and drove round to the other side to see what we could find...

Picture of the view from our connection point, with a circle showing the house

Getting out of the car and firing up the laptop was about as long as it took to pick up the signal - full 11Mb/s at ~1.2KM distance ;)

We even managed to use my friend's PDA (with it's inbuilt antenna) to pick up the connection.

The plan now is to setup a link to the TA centre we're running the LAN at and see if we can get better results with 802.11g. The distance involved is a fair bit less (800m) but the interference is probably going to be a bit higher. Should be very interesting :)

Associate
Aekeron said:
Just thought I'd post up with the results from the "wokfi" test we ran yesterday as when we announced we were going to use something similar for our LAN event, some people were a little skeptical :)

Basically, we built two "wokfi" dishes (as shown here), mounted one in the back window of my friend's house (facing over a valley) and drove round to the other side to see what we could find...

Picture of the view from our connection point, with a circle showing the house

Getting out of the car and firing up the laptop was about as long as it took to pick up the signal - full 11Mb/s at ~1.2KM distance ;)

We even managed to use my friend's PDA (with it's inbuilt antenna) to pick up the connection.

The plan now is to setup a link to the TA centre we're running the LAN at and see if we can get better results with 802.11g. The distance involved is a fair bit less (800m) but the interference is probably going to be a bit higher. Should be very interesting :)

that ownz :cool:

Soldato
lol do they still have that nutter guard on the doors at the TA center? when i used to goto the L4G lans he was a right git all the time.... always moaning about having to open the gates and stuff. In the end we moved elsewhere... mainly because of him!

Its quite a cool venue though as your stuff is certainly safe behind all that razorwire!

Man of Honour
OP
We're being given our own set of keys for the event and will have a system in place so that the security guard isn't bothered by people coming and going at all... hopefully he won't be odd about things :)

I've heard about l4g's experiences at the venue...sounded like a whole load of fun :)

Soldato
Aekeron said:
We're being given our own set of keys for the event and will have a system in place so that the security guard isn't bothered by people coming and going at all... hopefully he won't be odd about things :)

I've heard about l4g's experiences at the venue...sounded like a whole load of fun :)
Dont get me wrong we had 3 or 4 really good lans there.... it was just the hitler guard that was bad hehehehe.

The guy who organises L4G changed jobs and couldnt spend enough time organising so we moved to a smaller venue in Bramhall. Not that i ever have time to go to any!

Man of Honour
OP
I guess we'll see how things turn out. The venue seems really great for the price and it's located about 3 mins drive from my house, so that's handy :)

Less than 4 weeks to go until our first LAN now..things are really going to get insanely hectic soon...

Man of Honour
OP
We tested it via command-line pings (linux at one end, winxp at the other) and they held steady at about 1-1.7 msec, though there was the odd spike to 5 or so (quite rare).

Sadly I didn't have time to get all the testing done that I'd have liked but in the next few weeks we'll be building a much more permenant setup so I should have more data at that point :)

Associate
A mate managed to get 3mbps over 8.5km a couple of years back using two 24dB parabolica aerials (like sat dishes).

Since then we've setup a mesh network around our town and now share a single eclipse option4 connection between 5 of us. We're using wrt54g's as the routers (with dd-wrt firmware) and we have a mixture of 10-16dB directional panels and some omni antennas.

The wireless connections are stable and fast enough to have 3 or 4 people playing bf2 around 300 metres away from the main gateway.

Back
Top Bottom