POP3 to home server, IMAP to computers on int. network

Permabanned
Hi,

At home I have a Windows 2000 Server machine that serves my internet connection. Connected to my network are several XP machines, and one Mac OS X machine.

I use e-mail provided by the webhost that I pay for. I can connect to this using POP3 (which I do at present), and IMAP.

My current way of collecting e-mails is using POP3. I use Thunderbird on both Windows and MacOSX computers, which connects to a folder on my Win2k Server box where I store the e-mails. This allows me see all my e-mails from any computer I chose to use.

Thunderbird is a nice e-mail client for Windows, however on MacOSX it is a port, not a natively coded MacOSX client and therefore, isn't as speedy as I would like. However I must use Thunderbird on both the PC and MacOSX so that I can read from both platforms.

I would like to setup an IMAP service on my Win2k Server box so that I can use any e-mail client I chose (Apples Mail client in this case). I would need some software to sit on my Win2k Server that would connect by POP3 and download e-mails from my webhost. Then I can connect to my server by IMAP and pick them up, all the time leaving the e-mails on my Win2k Server.

Does anyone know of any software I can get that would this for me?

I know people like to offer alternative suggestions to what I would like, but this is the only method I am interested in. So suggestions to try something else, would fall on deaf ears (such as connecting to my webhost using IMAP, which is a no go as I do not want to leave e-mails on their servers).

Thanks in advance.

Stu

Associate
602Pro Lan Suite - Linky Linky

This will do the job fine, as well as providing a few extra little things. E-Mail virus scanning with AVG for example. It is much much more than you will need for your network, especially as you are running Win2k Server, but it will solve your email problem :D

Whats more, the license is free for up to 5 user accounts! w00t!

HTH

Permabanned
OP
stuppy said:
So suggestions to try something else, would fall on deaf ears (such as connecting to my webhost using IMAP, which is a no go as I do not want to leave e-mails on their servers).

Read the thread dear ;)

That 602Suite looked promising but it doesn't offer an IMAP service. It will download POP3 on my server then allow me to connect to the server via POP3 to collect my e-mails. Which removes them from the server. That isn't want I wanted.

Thanks for the suggestion though (unless i am being blind and missing the IMAP function).

Permabanned
OK missed that bit, though I don't understand why you are unwilling to leave mail on their server (although perhaps I shouldnt ask). Though speaking as a server admin myself, I honestly couldnt give two hoots as to what content people have stored on their mail/ network drives, provided it isnt illegal and would consider myself too busy to go sifting through 2000 odd users mail accounts in a fit of nosiness ;)

I've had a wee think, these are the issues as I see them. You need a compatible (as in file system compatible) mail client AND mail server combination to run on the server. This also needs to be compatible with Windows (which rules out a LOT). Howeverwhat you could do is set up Pegasus Mail as a POP3 client on the server, and then set up Mercury in IMAP mode, with it's mail directory set to be the same as Pegasus' mail store directory. The only problem I can see with doing this is possible file-locking issues, in which case you may need to store the mail in separate directories and schedule a copy/ sync operation.

Back
Top Bottom