VTR 1000 Firestorm.

Soldato
Lucky me, ive bought a 1998 VTR1000.
Its bright yellow with purple bits, full service history, mint nick, 19000kms (paralell import) and it cost me £2400 from a main dealer.

Ill take some pictures of it tommorow to show just how chavvy it is ;) we walked in there just browsing not intending to buy anything and there it was, sitting there like a car crash in a halfords shop, anodised bolts, bar ends, pegs, engine screws, purple powder coated wheels, after market screen, euugh its hideous :p .
But it looks a right laugh.

Soldato
OP
The yellow is, but its got an after market belly pan (purple) rear hugger (purple) its got the fill in panels to make it fully faired (purple).

We really didnt look to buy anything, but its so garish and reminds me so much of the bikes i used to ride when i was younger it just screamed "Buy me!".
Insurance isnt to bad at £240 TPFT either, fully comp was £525.

Soldato
Good bikes, Honda reliable but a bit notchy low down, not a bad top end either at around 150mph, they can seem a bit on or off on the throttle though, but plenty of torque to make up for that :)

They are made so much better by sticking a Fireblade front end on it though and a bit of jetting done to them :)

Soldato
OP
Well here it is, i told you its hideous ;)

Please excuse either the size and/or orientation of the images i dont do "internet" stuff.

16072006083-small.jpg

16072006082-small.jpg

16072006081-small.jpg

16072006080-small.jpg

It goes alright, took the missus on the back of it when i got it back from lincoln, got it up to 130 on the private airfield i passed on the way home, its got just enough speed for me.
Top speed is apparently 166 mph
They have been tested at 100+ BHP at the rear wheel
They destroy rear tyres, chains and sprockets in less than 4k miles supposedly.
At this point i will admit, i am a much better car driver than bike rider, so expect stories of me pulling out of a ditch at some point.

Associate
atpbx said:
Well here it is, i told you its hideous ;)

Top speed is apparently 166 mph
naw, bout 145-150 max.

They have been tested at 100+ BHP at the rear wheel
Mine did 108 bhp with 74ft/lb torque on stock cans but with a dyno jet/K&N fitted.
Best ive seen is 112bhp on stock jetting and filter but with art cans fitted.
The Storm needs a set of race cans, if only for setting off car alarms as you ride past.

They destroy rear tyres, chains and sprockets in less than 4k miles supposedly.
Depends what tyres you put on em. Had 207RR's on mine and they lasted a long time.
As for chains and sprockets, i fitted a chain oiler.

What you need to do now is talk to Roger @ Revolution racing and get the front forks re-sprung and if you've got a spare £525 floating round, get a Penkse shock from Roger.
The forks on the storm are a liability, since they will bottom out so quickly on the brakes.
Other than that, they are stonking bikes, apart from the 16ltr tank, which can be drained in less than 90 miles!!
Have fun with it. Had mine for 3 1/2 years during which time it was my only transport.

Robb

Soldato
OP
Shoei said:
naw, bout 145-150 max.

Mine did 108 bhp with 74ft/lb torque on stock cans but with a dyno jet/K&N fitted.
Best ive seen is 112bhp on stock jetting and filter but with art cans fitted.
The Storm needs a set of race cans, if only for setting off car alarms as you ride past.

Depends what tyres you put on em. Had 207RR's on mine and they lasted a long time.
As for chains and sprockets, i fitted a chain oiler.

What you need to do now is talk to Roger @ Revolution racing and get the front forks re-sprung and if you've got a spare £525 floating round, get a Penkse shock from Roger.
The forks on the storm are a liability, since they will bottom out so quickly on the brakes.
Other than that, they are stonking bikes, apart from the 16ltr tank, which can be drained in less than 90 miles!!
Have fun with it. Had mine for 3 1/2 years during which time it was my only transport.

Robb

I've had a look round it when i was cleaning it, its got aftermarket suspension on the back, and the front isnt that soft so im thinking mabye the forks have been done as well.
Top speed is what i got off a couple of on line road tests, ill never see what it can do as its just for taking the missus/girlfriend out on

Associate
atpbx said:
I've had a look round it when i was cleaning it, its got aftermarket suspension on the back, and the front isnt that soft so im thinking mabye the forks have been done as well.
Top speed is what i got off a couple of on line road tests, ill never see what it can do as its just for taking the missus/girlfriend out on

Thats all right then if its been modified.
What shock is fitted btw?
Now all you need is the open pipes ;)

Robb

Soldato
A mate of mine has one that i sat alongside (also on a private airfield) i was on my ZX9R at the time, i matched his speed and he was apparently showing 145 at the time flat on the tank, that being said he weighs around 14stone so i assume a slightly lighter person will get a touch more out of it, that was on standard gearing too.

He hasnt had any jetting done but he has got Harpoon cans fitted which are pretty loud to say the least.

His rear shock is the standard and its awful, even with it setup for his weight its saggy round corners and the front feels far too soft, so if there have already been done it sounds like you have the majority of it cracked :)

Still even with him having to fill up every 100 miles he has still managed to use it for over a year now doing 400 miles a week commuting into London and although it isnt an out and out sportsbike its more than capable of giving a really good ride on a Sunday and it starts every time without fail.

(oh and his does wreck sprockets and chains too but not any quicker than any other litre bike does, his tyres last around 4000 miles on the rear because it does like to chew them up (this is put down to the poor suspension on them!).

I wouldnt worry about the BHP side of it, its the torque of the V twin that is the bigger picture, 70ft/lbs + of torque is in the big league where bikes are concerned even the 2006 big litre jap bikes only put out around 80 ish realistically so the bike you have is extremely competitive in terms of pulling away from the lights, and the power is delivered so much better in the corners too :D

V Twins Rock! :D

Associate
L Plate said:
I wouldnt worry about the BHP side of it, its the torque of the V twin that is the bigger picture, 70ft/lbs + of torque is in the big league where bikes are concerned even the 2006 big litre jap bikes only put out around 80 ish realistically so the bike you have is extremely competitive in terms of pulling away from the lights, and the power is delivered so much better in the corners too :D

V Twins Rock! :D

Peak torque on mine was between 5-7k rpm. Keep it between them figures and just use the grunt and it was so easy to ride.

Robb

Back
Top Bottom