New Monitor for Work

Associate
I am in the process of specing a workstation to be used for work and as its a base unit, could someone recommend a monitor to go with it.

If you refer to the following link, you can get an idea of what type of workstation that i'm getting:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17596180

Basically, i need a professional, business orientated, reliable monitor that is suitable for graphic based use (Photoshop, 3D Studio, CAD). I think 19" is a suitable size (non WS).
After having a quick look about i spotted the EIZO FlexScan S1910K, this looks ideal and will last for a good number of years, can anyone recommend it or have any other alternatives?

Thanks

Last edited:
Soldato
Hmmm.

You did not mention a budget.

Personally I would go with 2 monitors in a dual setup. That is what I am using currently, and could not be happier using 2. It makes things a lot easier when creating textures for Max for example, you can edit one texture then import to the other application.

A large 24" monitor could be split in half, for example right click on task bar, split veriticle. But I would rather have 2 20"'s for design work, rather than 1 large one.

Permabanned
Eizo is an amazing company, their TFT's are to die for and this is reflected in the price.

Name a budget and we can sort you out!

Associate
OP
Unfortunately at this present time i wouldn't be able to go for a '2 new' dual-setup due to my budget but maybe at a later date.

It'll be a very long time before i get this opportunity again so intend on buying something that suits my needs but is also quality.

I have already mentioned the Eizo to my boss costing around £385(exVAT) and seemed happy enough. I'll assume that this would be my budget, obviously the cheaper the better in their eyes but i want something that suits my working needs.

I think 19" is adequate but if there is a larger screen which can outperform the Eizo at a similar or cheaper price i'd certainly consider it.

http://www.eizo.co.uk/lcddisplays.html?&user_products[uid]=118&cHash=b207cfc444

The Eizo uses a s-PVA-module.

Would the ViewSonic VP930 be a contender/similar?

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hi there,

thats a nice budget, look at the Samsung 215TW it uses a S-PVA panel which is supposedly very good. The extra inch is great in size terms and it is a all round great TFT.

Also check out the - Viewsonic VP2030b. Huge screen, bigger in pixel size than the 215TW. And a little bigger overall.

This uses a P-MVA panel.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply Wheaty. I'm starting to think that although the Eizo would be a fantastic monitor with 5 years warranty the extra size for the same money does look really tempting.

Where i'm looking, both the monitors are more or less the same in price but i'm siding on the Viewsonic because of its more 'professional/business' approach.

Would you agree or would the Eizo still outperform the monitors mentioned?

Which monitor would use the best panel for my needs?

Permabanned
Eizos are great, but I think more size is greater.

Eizos are made for professional work, so they will suit you, but for what else you can get for the price to make life easier then its a hard descison.

Specs- http://www.eizo.com/support/discontinued/lcd/s1910.asp

The viewsonic will be sufficent for your work and the VP (Professional) Warranty is quite good too.

The size is very welcome and more importantly the welcome fact of many more pixels!!!

Associate
OP
I'm just after talking to the boss and it was decided that 19" was the limit and no need to go any larger. Also, we came to the conclusion that the Eizo was too expensive for what it is compared to something like the Viewsonic VP930.

So, it looks like my budget has decreased to fall in line with the Viewsonic VP930, which means that unless anyone can suggest an alternative i'll be getting that one.

Will the Viewsonic VP930 be ok?

What about the Samsung SM-970P, although the stand looks a bit funny.

Thanks

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom