Essential OSX Applications?

Man of Honour
Soldato
Oi up, Will_3rd. Welcome to the forums. Your new sig there is about eleventy billion times too big. It needs to be at max 400 px wide, 75 px tall and 20 kiB in size. This one is compliant but looks pants. You should probably just make a new one or ask in the Graphics forum that someone be nice and make one for you.

Also, why do so many people find Google Earth indispensable? What does it do that Google Maps does not do through a web interface? I'm just curious.

Last edited:
Soldato
Logan09 said:
I find Quicksilver to be really handy - allows easy access to any program by typing in the 1st few letters of the program name. Can't believe no one's mentioned it.

I used to use it until someone pointed out that Spotlight does it too.

Soldato
punky_munky said:
I used to use it until someone pointed out that Spotlight does it too.

It does, but I don't find it quite as nice to use.. it defaults to 'show all' which drives me mad :) Ctrl+space ter <enter> and i get a terminal in QS.. works a treat and looks pretty :)

Sic

Sic

Soldato
not sure if you mind shareware in here, but last night i got:

Bluephoneelite - manage your texts and phone calls via bluetooth from your mac
Salling Clicker - arguably my favourite new app; turns your phone/bluetooth device into a remote control for OSX apps :D
Checkbook - keep control of your finances easily

also:

Quicksilver, Onyx, Adium, Mactheripper, Colloquy, Isquint, Shiira, Firefox, Opera - bargain.

Soldato
is anyone else having problems with adium? mine keeps disconnecting and then trying to re-connect for ages but just not doing anything?

Soldato
fieldy said:
is anyone else having problems with adium? mine keeps disconnecting and then trying to re-connect for ages but just not doing anything?

I've had a few problems with the jabber connection over the last few days but after looking into it, it is the jabber server that is buggered, not adium.

Man of Honour
OS X rocks, this thread rocks, I am loving my new life - so long as I have bash and the option of a GUI I'm sorted :D

Not sure if Parallels is in here - it's not free, but it's darn cool virtualization software for Intel-based Macs which allows you to run OS X, linux, XP etc alongside eachother in virtual machines. Will be trying it out tomorrow :)

Back
Top Bottom