Cisco 857W 54Mbps Wireless 4-Port ADSL Modem/Router...any good?

Caporegime
Am currently looking to replace my ageing Asus AAM6000EV router with the Cisco 857W 54Mbps Wireless 4-Port ADSL Modem/Router that ocuk sell...although its quite expensive but then it is Cisco and you cant go far wrong with their equipment.

But does anyone here have any working knowledge of this unit and therefore could give me a good idea as to what it really is like etc. I take it that it does support port forwarding and in upnp enabled...also how easy is it to set up and get running??. Dont want something thats too mind taxing:p.

Btw it says its a cable modem but i take it that is an error on OCUKs part??.

Caporegime
The 857 (and AFAIK no other Cisco router) doesn't do uPnP for starters.

It's an ADSL router all right, though the site does say that - "Cisco 857W 54Mbps Wireless 4-Port ADSL Modem/Router (NW-003-CI)". It's also in the ADSL routers category (unless that's a recent change) :confused:

Edit: Oh, fixed.

How complicated you find it to set up will depend what you're trying to do with it. It's got a web interface (someone else will have to comment on how useful it is), but you're only scratching the surface of what it's capable of.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
tolien said:
The 857 (and AFAIK no other Cisco router) doesn't do uPnP for starters.

It's an ADSL router all right, though the site does say that - "Cisco 857W 54Mbps Wireless 4-Port ADSL Modem/Router (NW-003-CI)". It's also in the ADSL routers category (unless that's a recent change) :confused:

Edit: Oh, fixed.

How complicated you find it to set up will depend what you're trying to do with it. It's got a web interface (someone else will have to comment on how useful it is), but you're only scratching the surface of what it's capable of.

Cheers Tolien, looks like the error is fixed:p

As long as it has a web interface then i shouldnt have too much probs with it. If worse comes to worse ill just end up using it in the office and taking one of the draytek routers that we use there instead.

Soldato
The web interface isn't too bad, certainly nowhere near as crap as CRWS was but still no substitute for command line hacking.

You'll get a working router with SDM express (or SDM if you install it) but you'll have a lot of unnecessary rubbish in the ACL's which can make it a bit confusing if you start configuring it the proper way in the future.

Caporegime
OP
Oh well decided to buy it in the end, £254??:eek:...a lot of money but hopefully a lot of kit. Just hope it doesnt take a rocket scientist to figure it out:p, as i said if i cant get on with it...ill just nick a draytek one from the office and use the cisco one there.

Man of Honour
not bad money for what it is, it's cisco's base offering and not a 2800 by any stretch of the imagination. just don't look at the web interface, it gives messy configs that take longer to tidy up than it takes to write from scratch...

tbh i'm still at a loss as to why they included the web interface. though to be fair the web gui on the catalyst express switches was a pleasent surprise...

Soldato
adwhitworth said:
Fixed the error. Thanks:)

On another note, You may be better sticking with a Netgear/Linksys etc as I believe the Cisco routers are pretty complicated.

Seconded unless your familiar with the IOS command set and how to use it, simple tasks can be achieved through the web management interface called security device manager but no-where near what you can do through the console or telnet.

Back
Top Bottom