Uni house - Network and ISP Suggestions please!

Soldato
Sounds like you're going to have CAT5 cables all over the place! Are you sure wireless isn't a better option? More expensive certainly, but less hassle too, and there's no reason for it to be slow or unsecure.

Soldato
In our house,

ADSL 8 Meg Nildram
DG834G
4 people connect by wire
4 people connect by wireless
Firewall set up so the other 7 can only use http, msn, etc so no p2p or torrent usage :) apart from me :D but I know how to limit it so it does not effect other people. Shame the other 7 have no clue. Works very nicely and we dont get any lag/hold up what so ever. Had a few ppl moaning that limewire etc does not work, but you just blame it on their pc's.

Soldato
OP
Thanks for the tips guys, meh we'll be tidy with cables. One of my chums who's just spent a year in a house of similar build experienced loads of problems with wireless and don't really fancy the possibility of all the hassle tbh.

Associate
I'm just about to move out of a house in hyde park. just going to say, if you sign up early, make sure you get the 9 month student deal rather than getting a full year contract (unless that's what you want)

Permabanned
Andelusion said:
Ok, NTL it is then.

Can anyone give any hardware tips? I really have no idea. Thanks..

you can buy a wireless dongle for each pc, they are about £15 pounds each give or take. they plug into a usb socket and act as a wireless network card, or if everyone in the house doesnt mind, you can buy wireless network cards for about £14 a pop now, fit one in each PC, configure the ip addys and make sure you use something like WEP to secure your network, you dont want the students next door logging on and steeling bandwidth.

personally though, wireless networks at the moment are more of a "trendy gimmick" than a dependable system, theres still too many problems with the system itself and it can be a real headache. For reliabillity i would use a Wired network.

p.s. i used to work for NTL, if your a student, you can get a 9 month contract. but dont tell them your planning to share out the connection, whilst NTL doesnt say you cant do it, they dont like it when you do :) (or at least they didnt when i was there...)

p.s. you can think me for your cheap NTL broadband cost... long story which i got £££0 out of. :(

Last edited:
Soldato
ErNciLator said:
Go for modem

-> ADSL Router ->

1GBit Switch (8port+)->

Computers

The router, aslong as it's a good one, mb a Cisco or so, will sort the switch for you. Make sure the switch has a good backbone.

Good backbone? It's a house of stoooooodent bums, not an enterprise server farm ;)

Soldato
OP
Howdo again just a final question, if we get this switch: DELETED COMPETITOR LINKand use the router we'll presumably be provided with by NTL should this be hunky dory? Just want to double check, Ta.

Soldato
Fair enough. You'll still need a router though, just plugging a switch into the ethernet port on the modem isn't gonna help. Ntl only give you one IP address so unless you're using a layer 3 or greater switch you'll have problems.

Soldato
this thread definitely helps me with what im gonna do in september when i move into a house with 3 uni mates :D

But if i have a belkin 4 port cable gateway router, can i daisy chain this or would i have to use it between the ntl modem and a switch?

Soldato
tsinc80697 said:
this thread definitely helps me with what im gonna do in september when i move into a house with 3 uni mates :D

But if i have a belkin 4 port cable gateway router, can i daisy chain this or would i have to use it between the ntl modem and a switch?

You don't need a gateway, just a broadband router will do. You have to keep the cable modem, there isn't an option there. You connect the modem to the "broadband" port on the router then hook all the computers to the built in switch on the router. Gateways are generally routers with built in DSL modems, cable genrally requires you to keep the modem they give you.

Soldato
RobH said:
You don't need a gateway, just a broadband router will do. You have to keep the cable modem, there isn't an option there. You connect the modem to the "broadband" port on the router then hook all the computers to the built in switch on the router. Gateways are generally routers with built in DSL modems, cable genrally requires you to keep the modem they give you.

Gateway = Router, irrespective of what WAN port they have.

Back
Top Bottom