SNR Margin Change ?

Associate
I have just bought myself a Draytek 2600 Plus to replace my D-Link 602T in the hope i will have better line stability with my normally very low SNR. The typical SNR reading on my old D-Link was between 8 and 10 connected to one extension cable from the master socket. My new Draytek connected to the same extension cable has a constant SNR reading of 18-19.

Previously my connection would drop intermittently, sometimes once a day, sometimes several times a day, presumably because of the low SNR. After having this router for a week my connection hasn't dropped once.

Is this possible for the SNR to increase because of a change in modem? Or is this mearly a co-insidence or ever an error in the modems recording the values?

Any suggestions would be apprechiated.

Thanks, Matt

Caporegime
Yes it's possible. Different modems (even different firmware versions) can have different bit allocation processes.
By that much would seem odd though.

Associate
OP
Just retried my old modem to see if there had been a change in my line or anything. The SNR once DSL was sync'ed was 17 but quickly dropped to 10 within about a minute. Upon reconnecting my new modem the SNR was once again 17 and has stayed there for the past 5 minutes as it has done for the past week. Sounds like my old modem may have been faulty to cause that much of an increase?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Sounds like it, though as ever what it reports in its UI isn't always what it reports to the DSLAM, or has any connection to reality.

Back
Top Bottom