best 5.1 speakers for x-fi??

Soldato
When you talk about your 'hi-fi downstairs' from your description it sounds like a crap midi system. That's not hi-fi. Hi-fi means hi-fi seperates. Not the real bottom end stuff either said:
Nobody said you need to spend that kind of money. I was merely making the point (as you have with the "That's not hi-fi. Hi-fi means hi-fi seperates. Not the real bottom end stuff either, and not the crap manufacturers, since there are some." comment that a £300 Hi-Fi is simply NOT Hi-Fi.

I will say again, this is not a hi-fi thread. The question was for the best speakers for an X-Fi card. This has already been answered. Please see my previous post for a link to the Hi-Fi thread if that is the path of discussion that you guys wish to pursue

Regards

AndyOcUK
OcUK Tech ;)

Soldato
i dont think its a Midi Hi-Fi system as its like bigger than most mini Hi-Fi systems, its more like a cupboard tbh, but i dunno, i dont know a lot about speakers and stuff, all i want is somthing that sounds good to me, maybe it sounds crap to someone else, but i wouldent really care if it sounds amazing to me, maybe my ears are damaged, but at least its cheaper for me to get somthing that sounds amazing :p. woops yea this thread has like gone miles off topic. Anyway, the best 5.1 speakers for the X-Fi would proberbly Z5500, those Gigaworks speakers, or Megaworks, also the high end klipsch stuff too :)

Associate
For multimedia speakers, consider the Creative Gigaworks S700 (basically the 7.1 version without two satellites).

One step up from the Megaworks.. and I think the Megaworks are fairly hard to find now anyway.

[For reference I have compared the Megas with the Logitech of the time, the Z-680, and prefer the Creatives]

Soldato
AndyOcUK said:
Nobody said you need to spend that kind of money. I was merely making the point (as you have with the "That's not hi-fi. Hi-fi means hi-fi seperates. Not the real bottom end stuff either, and not the crap manufacturers, since there are some." comment that a £300 Hi-Fi is simply NOT Hi-Fi.

£300 if you're just looking for an amp and a pair of speakers, and you're prepared to go used, that will get you something decent. Rotel RA01/RA971Mk2 and some MA Bronze B2s or something like that. That's under £300 used, and about £300 if you got the speakers new.

Soldato
OK TWO POLITE REQUESTS NOW - THIRD AND FINAL NOT SO NICE RQUEST:

We have ascertained that creative or logitech speakers from their mid to hi end are the best computer speakes in answer to the original question. Hi -Fi discussions need to be on the Hi-Fi section as per my link above. :(

AndyOcUK
OcUK Tech Dept.

Soldato
Dontforget Klipsch, they have good PC speakers too, a lot of people would happen to think they are better than Logitech and crative, i dont know tho, i have never heard them, they seem to be more powerfull tho.

Associate
Klipsch are well regarded, but the problem is that they are hard to find in the UK, and well overpriced for the few that I've found. The Ultra is usually considered to have the best Multimedia sub though (with the Gigas taking the prize for the satellite thanks to the tweaters). It would have helped to know what kind of budget the topic starter was on as well...

Soldato
AndyOcUK said:
OK TWO POLITE REQUESTS NOW - THIRD AND FINAL NOT SO NICE RQUEST:

We have ascertained that creative or logitech speakers from their mid to hi end are the best computer speakes in answer to the original question. Hi -Fi discussions need to be on the Hi-Fi section as per my link above. :(

AndyOcUK
OcUK Tech Dept.

Please tell me why you can't use hi-fi speakers with a PC? This forum is hardware->sound, not just PC speakers. I know there's a seperate hi-fi forum, but questions about sound for PCs just don't get asked in there for whatever reason. There's been loads of threads about using hi-fi speakers with a PC in this very forum in the last few months, and suddenly in this thread it's a big problem? Did the OP specify PC speakers only? No he didn't. OcUK do sell hi-fi speakers-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hi_Fi_Speakers.html

Suspended
Looks like a conspiracy theory ;) most likely sell more PC speakers than Hi-Fi speakers and amplifiers because cost difference...so can't have members slating a whole area that's stocked as rubbish to mediocre quality. OC UK aren't a Hi-Fi shop so possible sales will go elseware. :) A £150 PC speaker sale is better than zero sale, and for the customer to shop elseware,

Soldato
fish99 said:
Please tell me why you can't use hi-fi speakers with a PC? This forum is hardware->sound, not just PC speakers. I know there's a seperate hi-fi forum, but questions about sound for PCs just don't get asked in there for whatever reason. There's been loads of threads about using hi-fi speakers with a PC in this very forum in the last few months, and suddenly in this thread it's a big problem? Did the OP specify PC speakers only? No he didn't. OcUK do sell hi-fi speakers-

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Hi_Fi_Speakers.html

Wrong end of the stick here as I said before, the thread was turning into a discussion of amps, hi fi separates etc, etc. My point was merely to stay on topic.

And "conspiracy theory"????? grow up!!!! lol

AndyOcUK
OcUK Tech

Associate
Assuming your going for a PC speaker setup (separates might be better, but also vastly more expensive, depends what your willing to pay), I think most people will agree that the Logitech Z-5500's are as good as they come. Quality 5.1 setup with an insane sub, analogue, optical, coaxial and line-in inputs w/ Dolby Digital, DTS and Pro Logic II decoding.... a bargin for the price really.
I have my PC (X-Fi) in the analogue, PS2/360 in the optical w/ a switcher, DVD player in the coax, GameCube in the line-in (since most GC games use Pro Logic II and it works a treat), job done :)

The Creative Gigaworks are the competition, I'd be suprised if there's much between these and the Z-5500's, your getting a quality setup either way. I'd personally go for the Z-5500's, but then again, I own a set myself.

I'd stay away from 7.1 in a PC environments. I'd great for a living room setup where you can get some nice distance between each satallite, but it arguably sounds inferior to 5.1 when the satallites are relatively close to eachother (and most peoples PC setups would place the speakers relatively close).

Associate
Yes, I do that myself. You just set the player/codec to SPDIF, which will either use the onboard decoder or route it through the external decoder (depending on which you choose in the Audio Console).

Soldato
i disable dolby digital and DTS in the X-FI and i still get dolby digital from the darn Inter Video Audio Decoder in the Creative Entertainment Center setting, i want to use the X-FI's build in codec.

Back
Top Bottom