Shuttle ST20G5 - high temps?

Associate
Got this shuttle and have installed a stock Athlon 64 3700+ and a 7900GT. I am getting 50 degree with SMART fan setting on. It comes down to about 45 degrees with the fan at full speed but it is very noisy. Can anyone tell me whether these are normal temperatures and how can I bring it down?

Soldato
what else have you got in the case? how hot is the room it is in? also how much free space is there around the unit/location?

recently in this hot weather my sb75 has been running around 45'c idle not overclocked (blue akasa 80mm fan on full) because of the heat in my room and it was on some shelving under my desk.

are those temps load or idle?

Associate
OP
Those are idle temps. The shuttle is on the desk so there is a lot of space around it. Maybe its the hot weather we've been having but I would like to bring those temps down a bit.

I did apply thermal paste on the processor but I will reapply as advised. I originally put about a grain of rice size worth of thermal paste (which is pretty standard advice for desktop chips), do I need to put more? Thx

Associate
I've got the same barebones but with a lesser CPU and have the same 'problem'. To be honest, I think the temperatures reported are bogus. :confused:

Why? I've re-applied thermal grease and checked the ICE several times yet both XPC Tools and Speedfan report scorching CPU temps, similar to yours. They show 65+ under load while the air blowing out from the ICE is cool and a temperature probe attached to the CPU barely breaks 40 degrees. The system's stable as you like and I'm now using speedfan to manually control the ICE fan - 35% for desktop use. 60% for gaming

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'd say the air blowing out the back is pretty warm. Would it be a good idea to replace the fan? Suggestions for quiet but powerful one please..

Soldato
I've found mine to be particularly toasty too so I'm selling it all on and saving for a new desktop system and moving to the Intel fold.

Plus I've got other stuff I want to use but can't due to the space limitations.

Associate
OP
I am surprised at how hot this shuttle gets. The noise level is pretty annoying although I am wondering how much difference a replacement fan will make. The PCI-Express slot is quite close to the side of the case so it probably contributes to the heat problems. I think a mid-range card might be more suitable for a case like this. I have a 7900GT in there and I think it does add to the temperature problem.

Back
Top Bottom